Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scary New Boxes

underlug

I am old. I hate change. I picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 100s today. They did not come in the reassuring red boxes I am used to. Has anybody tried the primers in the new blue boxes? Are they the same? I have visions of full strength mainsprings or the clickety-click sound coursing through my small brain :wacko:

Underlug,

I have reloaded and fired a little over 2000 from the blue boxes......

Nothing different but the cover at least that is what it seems like.....

I get 99% at 5 1/4 pounds and 100% at 5 3/4 from my 625 :)

Hopalong

Federal has realigned their products for a new marketing strategy, but they are the same, just new packaging.  I use GM100M in my 610 and they are 100% reliable at 10.5 pounds. :P

The new boxes seem to be working just as well as the red boxes. I just went through 1000 and didn't have any missfires so I'm satisfied. Of course my trigger is kind of heavy at 4 1/2 pounds .

An old gunsmith friend of mine told me that if you measure the hammer fall pressure with your trigger guage it should be at least 32 ounces with Federal to go off reliably. Winchesters take about 46 to 48 ounces. After I clean my revolver I always measure the hammer drop weight to be sure it's the same. I know, counting the number of turns on the strain screw would work just as well but I'm a stubborn old dog.

Federal has realigned their products for a new marketing strategy, but they are the same, just new packaging.  I use GM100M in my 610 and they are 100% reliable at 10.5 pounds. :P

The new boxes seem to be working just as well as the red boxes. I just went through 1000 and didn't have any missfires so I'm satisfied. Of course my trigger is kind of heavy at 4 1/2 pounds .

An old gunsmith friend of mine told me that if you measure the hammer fall pressure with your trigger guage it should be at least 32 ounces with Federal to go off reliably. Winchesters take about 46 to 48 ounces. After I clean my revolver I always measure the hammer drop weight to be sure it's the same. I know, counting the number of turns on the strain screw would work just as well but I'm a stubborn old dog.

Heavy at 4 and 1/2 pounds. My, how the landscape has changed. We have become USPSA open division reborn

Please tell me who can put a 4.5 pound trigger on my 25 or 625?  Heck  I'll even settle for a 5 pound even, I don't want to get greedy :P

The work has been done on 627s. I don't know if Randy Lee can do similiar magic on large pistol primer guns, but, he da man to ask