Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eagle Scout Bsa

MikeFoley

Made mine at 14 (1973) in Ft. Wayne IN. Had my first contact with firearms at summer camp, shooting .22 rifles. A great learning experience with lessons I still use today.

I made Eagle at 15 in 1975. Attended Philimont in 1974 and National Jamboree in 1976, National OA conference in 1977. At the time I was the youngest eagle in the troop. I believe the troop has only had 6 or 7 total. Scouting is a good way to teach young ones responsibility and to be self reliant. I always enjoyed the times I had in scouting.

• 4 weeks later...

July 88 for me.

Turned in my last merit badge on my 18th birthday. I actually was awarded my vigil before I earned my eagle, I don't think that happens often.

Got involved in everything else in scouting and almost forgot to get my Eagle requirements completed. I spend 9 summers working at summer camps, went to Philmont three times, 6 NOACs (Staff for 3 of them), OA Vice Chief, etc.

I was the first in my council (Westmoreland-Fayette: Greensburg, PA) to have both grandfathers as eagle scouts.

FYI - My Eagle Scout certificate is displayed and it is signed by Reagan.

Edited by Sestock

This is long, and I apologize . . . but the OP did ask "what Eagle means to you," so I blame fomeister.

I know this will show my age (or lack thereof), but I earned mine about six weeks before I turned 18, in 2004. I had my project done a year earlier, but was involved in other extracurriculars that seemed more important than those last couple badges (personal management and maybe another). I was just telling my wife the other day, however, that in the months leading up to that dreaded 18th, I wasn't sure I was going to "bother" with finishing the last bits that felt less interesting, and less important to what Eagle meant to me. I'd already demonstrated Scout skills. I'd demonstrated leadership (by completing the project, serving as patrol leader, senior PL, asst. SPL, '01 Nat'l Jambo participant, and Philmont crew leader in '02). So I felt like I'd already done all of the "important" parts of Eagle, and in my mind I felt like I already was there, even if I didn't have the badge. Hell, I was awarded Vigil Honor in the OA before I got Eagle . . . surely that meant that I was Eagle quality, right?

Looking back on it, I think actually finishing the deal was one of the most important things I've done in the past 23-odd years. I never have to tell people---and most importantly, myself---"I could have done it." I did it. At the time, my dad (an Eagle from way-back-when) told me it was "one of the most important things you'll ever do and it will stick with you for the rest of your life." At the time, I didn't believe him . . . I was leaving for college, then grad school, expecting to get a PhD down the line. Junior year of high school I competed in an international science fair. Surely those accomplishments would mean more!

And yeah, those are bigger milestones (to me). But the things I learned and did on the road to Eagle impact my character and how each and every day goes for me. I'm not talking about following the twelve points, or anything like that . . . just being a decent, and resourceful, person. Would I be the same person if I hadn't finished my Eagle? Mostly, but not quite: I think that the last badges I earned, after being Life for several years and covering 98% of the trail to Eagle, don't matter much to me. But completing that goal, enduring those trivial, tiresome parts to make it the whole way . . . making it the whole way . . . that does something to you.

Since earning Eagle in '04, I've not done much more with Scouts. College (and now graduate school) keep getting in the way. In '06 I went back for a second Philmont trek, but as an adult advisor this time. And quite interestingly, I found myself only yesterday helping out---unasked---with an Eagle service project . . . for a guy I'd only met the day before. Why? Because a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Another reason that it was imperative I earned Eagle: my father and uncle both did (at much younger ages, and with palms). And as it turns out, so did my father-in-law. And my two best friends in high school. And my best friend in college. (In fact, there is a photo in my wedding album of all the Eagle scouts there). Somehow, no matter where I go, I end up surrounded by Eagles. I'm really looking forward to joining a troop again once I've finished school and my life settles down a little bit, and helping some more young men get Eagle.

So, to those Eagles among us: congratulations! And thanks for bearing with my long-ish post. :rolleyes:

PS: like Sestock, I too came from the Westmoreland-Fayette council, from Troop 257 out of North Huntingdon, PA.

I made Eagle in 1988. Like Mike I BARELY got my project finished, I turned it in the day before my 18th birthday.

I was also in the OA.

I have said it many times Boy Scouts kept me out of a LOT of trouble.

I spent about two months in Scouts when I was younger (1961). Troop folded due to money issues and I never hooked up with the Boy Scouts again until 1979 when my son, Brian, joined the Cub Scouts. At that time there were four boys in the Webelos den with no den leader so true to form I took the position. My son and I are still involved in Scouting 19 years later both as ASM's in our Troop. He earned his Eagle with two Palms in 1997. He has been the OA Chapter and Lodge Chief and has traveled the country teaching National Leadership Seminars for the OA, taught at two NOAC's, staffed the K2BSA Amatuer Radio station at the '97 & '01 National Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia. I also attended the '97 National Jamboree and the '99 NOAC. He is a Vigil member of the OA as I am. I earned my Woodbadge Beads in '93, my son in '99. Brian is now 28, married to his lovely wife Katelyn with a two year old daughter and a son due in September. They both have earned their Masters Degree (Brian in EE, Katelyn in Business) and both are employed at Sandia National Labs.

Scouting? Obviously I believe that it is the number one youth program in the world. Boys are taught skills and leadership they will use the rest of their lives. They are taught to become productive members of society.

As I type this I am packing for an eighty six mile backpacking trek at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch with my son and our Troop.

CYa in two weeks,

Pat

P.S.

I went back and reread this thread. Everybody tells of the importance of Scouting in their lives and what their Eagle means to them. Why don't you guys get back involved in Scouting. Help make it important to some other boy in your town.

Edited by whatmeworry