Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low and to the left

Mazak

I bought a new m&p shield 9mm. First trip to the range, most of my shots were going about 2 inches low and left from 7-10 yards. I inserted a snap cap among 4 live rounds. Each time the snap cap came up, I could see the front sight dive low left. I don't do this with my glock 26. Any ideas for a remedy. Thx

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Because the two guns have different trigger pulls, the timing of when during the trigger press the shot fires is different. If you watch carefully and see the sights lift (don't blink), your subconscious will start making the necessary corrections. See the sights lift and shoot. You will come out of it. If you can do it with the glock, you can do it with the smith.

Keep dry firing the gun, learn the little differences of that gun compared to your old one, trigger finger placement and possibly over grip. Play around with slightly different hand positions and dry fire it while watching the sights. Learn to pull that trigger without disrupting your sights in dry fire.

Either timing or you don't yet trust that gun. I flinch with a lot of "new" guns absent extraordinary concentration, at least until my brain learns, "oh, hey this is just like all the other guns we shoot... it's going to make a loud noise and try to move back and up, but that's cool, nothing to worry about!"

I think you may be squeezing your other 3 fingers while pulling the trigger, this is quite common. You should concentrate on squeezing the gun with your left hand and lightly holding it with your strong hand. Then practice only pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger. This same advice helped me with this same issue. Hope this helps.

I think you may be squeezing your other 3 fingers while pulling the trigger, this is quite common. You should concentrate on squeezing the gun with your left hand and lightly holding it with your strong hand. Then practice only pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger. This same advice helped me with this same issue. Hope this helps.

More support hand grip - squeeeeeze that left hand while keeping your shooting hand relatively free from tension...and lots and lots of good dry fire...You'll soon get there :-)

Edited by Cliveb

There is a real good chance I'm doing just that. Going to the range today and work on it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I squeeze the heck out of the gun with both hands and it doesn't cause me to miss, or hit low/left. In fact, if you look at pictures of most of the really good shooters, you'll notice the muscles clearly flexed/straining on both of their forearms, meaning they're squeezing the gun pretty hard with both hands. They've simply learned to isolate their trigger finger to the point it's not a problem.

• 1 month later...

I tend to do this with the first couple of mags when I haven't been shooting in a while. I am also a very flinch person when I get to the indoor range. I double plug and still jump the first few times I hear the guns go off around me.

It bugs the crap out of me, but I can't do anything about it. Once I start firing I am ok, but its always the first little bit till I get warmed up to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I own 3 M&P Shields , ( Yea Yea , it's my fav carry summer gun , my wifes too lol ) and I had the same issue when I first purchased one . I carried a Glock 26 or 19 for years and never had the issue of yanking or diving . What I noticed was the obvious grip angle change , but going from the double stack to single stack I ended up death gripping the gun with my strong hand and was pretty lax on the support hand . Once I got used to actually having to utilize grip on the gun I was good to go . IMO the best shooting small single stack on the market !