Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quinn III C-More Mount - Mounting Screw Size Question

wyliearms

I am looking at the Quinn III C-More 90 degree mount. I found it at CED but when I called to ask the screw size, they didn't know. On one of the European sites I found a reference to it using M4 screws. I am assuming it would be a M4x0.5. Is this correct?

Also, can the thumbrest be used in any of the mounting positions? I hear people complaining about folks with short hands and every picture I see it looks like it is in the 3rd hole. Is that hole tapped specifically for it on the frame or does the screw serve as both a mounting screw as well as the thumb screw and can be adjusted? Meaning the thumb screw passes through the mount into the frame body?

They are not metric unless the gun is drilled metric. They are either 4-40 or 5-40 I forget. The mount isn't threaded just the frame is.

Yes, figure out where you want the thumb rest and just use longer screws through the mount into the frame. You'll have 3 short and two long into the frame. Do some test firing etc before you loctite the screws. Make sure the thumb rest is where you want it for sure

They are not metric unless the gun is drilled metric. They are either 4-40 or 5-40 I forget. The mount isn't threaded just the frame is.

Yes, figure out where you want the thumb rest and just use longer screws through the mount into the frame. You'll have 3 short and two long into the frame. Do some test firing etc before you loctite the screws. Make sure the thumb rest is where you want it for sure

So the package does not come with M4 screws? My gun has never been drilled. It's a virgin Range Officer.

hi

the standard screws here in Europe are M4, but you can use 8-40 torx screws (brownells) , for M4 you drill 3.2mm, for the 8-40 4.5mm

I would use the standard M4 screws, if they are worn out convert to 8-4. if bought in the US the screws are most ikely not metric

I have small hands and I put the thumbrest in the first hole, depending on the position the thumbrest blocks the slide stop. I use blue loctite on the thumbrest screw and red loctite on the others

I am looking at the Quinn III C-More 90 degree mount. I found it at CED but when I called to ask the screw size, they didn't know. On one of the European sites I found a reference to it using M4 screws. I am assuming it would be a M4x0.5. Is this correct?

Also, can the thumbrest be used in any of the mounting positions? I hear people complaining about folks with short hands and every picture I see it looks like it is in the 3rd hole. Is that hole tapped specifically for it on the frame or does the screw serve as both a mounting screw as well as the thumb screw and can be adjusted? Meaning the thumb screw passes through the mount into the frame body?

yup, the off the shelf drilled Quinn 3 is for M4 screws. You will have to grind down the screws to be flush with the dust cover insides. Be careful substituting non-metric screws since the M4 countersink standard is 90 degrees.

Edited by ChuckS

yup, the off the shelf drilled Quinn 3 is for M4 screws. You will have to grind down the screws to be flush with the dust cover insides. Be careful substituting non-metric screws since the M4 countersink standard is 90 degrees.

So the tap size would be M4x0.5 and the drill size would be 3.50mm?

So the tap size would be M4x0.5 and the drill size would be 3.50mm?

Don't know for sure as I let my gunsmith worry about it. I guess you need to choose a thread pitch. Finer the better I guess:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapdrillsizes.pdf

I bought the M4 tap and it recommended a #29 or #30 drill bit (I can check if you need the number).

You can see here the way the thumbrest adjusts. It has a lower hole that a long screw fits in the frame holes and a detent that fits in the arched divots visible here.

6C431A64-49D9-4A25-ADE7-7D68F0E267B6_zps

Edited by dogtired