Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo Aluminum Speed Loader Tubes– how do you carry them?

Bamboo

So, I decided to get all game-y and bought a 6 round Arredondo Aluminum Shotgun Speed Loader Tube. While it does a good job in reloading the shotgun with 6 rounds, I am having a hard time figuring out how to effectively carry it at a match.

I’ve been using the tecloader 4 round tubes with either the stock two tube pouch or the California Competition Works eight tube pouch with no drama. But, neither seems to work great with the 6 round Arredondo Aluminum Speed Loader.

When I use these pouches I’m having two issues:

1. The “wings” on the mag tube get hung up on the fabric trim on the pouch’s opening as I am pulling the Arredondo aluminum tube out.

And/Or

2. I’m losing a shell or two in the pouch so when I go to reload I only have 4 or 5 rounds left in the 6 round tube.

The first issue I believe can be fixed by fairing in the leading edge of the aluminum wing so there is a smooth transition from the tube. Right now there is a 3/16 or so square leading edge on each of the wings that is getting caught on the fabric as it is pulled out. Also, I can modify the mouth of the pouch by cutting away some material so there is nothing to catch.

The second issue I am not so sure about. I got an idea from another thread that maybe putting a dowel or PVC pipe in the bottom of the pouch so the speed loader tube is supported in the pouch by resting on the front shotgun shell, and not the front tongue/lip of the aluminum tube, might help. That sounds like it is worth a try and is simple enough.

The tube works well for reloading, but if I can’t successfully carry it while jogging (I don’t really run any longer! ;) ) then its benefits are moot.

Any other ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

ChuckS's comment was a good one. So, I called Arredondo (very nice folks) and they suggested to be sure to install the tube in the pouch by holding the aluminum tube and not by holding the handle which might push shells forward. In my case I had figured that out pretty quickly and was installing the tube in the pouch by gripping the aluminum tube itself. We talked about supporting the shotshell column with a dowel and he said he had heard of someone doing that. So, I'm going to modify a pouch pocket with a dowel so it rests on the first shotshell and not the tongue o the tube, and fair in the wing's square edge with a file so they won't catch on the fabric while being pulled out (probably trim some of the fabric away also).

On the Arrendondo site they recommend the CCW tube pouch for these tubes. Somewhere I read that the Safariland holder didn't retain the 6 rounders well, also.

Still looking for the experience of others if anybody has figured this out.

• 4 months later...

Arredondo is making the two plastic shell retainers with bigger teeth to hold the shells in the tube. As far as the safariland tube holster I started putting rubber bands around the retainers after inserting the tubes in. Kind of a pain to keep a supply of rubber bands but it works

I'm not so sure the issue with dropping shells is related to the mag pouch. I've been having the same problem and think the issue is actually the inertia of 6 shells overcoming the tube's shell retention capacity. To prove this just hold your 6 rounder down at your side and jerk up quickly. After you have picked up the two or three shells that will be on the floor and put them back in the tube do the same movement smoothly. Shells stay in. If I am smooth with my draw out of a CCW pouch I will keep all six in the tube. I normally run 1 1/8 shells and may try 1 ouncers to see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the replies -

Ok, so after some tinkering I got my 6 rounder working well for me (with 1 1/8 oz AA shells)

Here is what I did:

1) fair in the leading edge of the two aluminum wings that interface with the tec-loader/Arredondo guide. (this prevents a hang up on the California Competition Works eight tube pouch when drawing out. I also trimmed some extra material away on the pouch so there would be no snags)

2) Bend the spring ring to a smaller diameter so it applies more force on the two red plastic shell retainers. (this helped a lot by gripping the lead shell in the tube tighter so it didn't drop down)

3) Apply some flexible tape (blue painters tape works well) to the top edge of the two red plastic shell retainers. (When there are shells in the tube these stick out and are basically fish hooks looking for a place to get caught)

4) Place a loaded shell (or dummy round) in the bottom of the CCW pouch positioned so the loaded rounds in the tube rest on the top of the shotgun shell. (this carries the shotshell column weight so the red plastic shell retainers don't need to carry all the weight)

I did some practicing with this set-up and used it in a local shotgun match and so far have had no issues with the tube holding rounds. I even had to do some running on a "jungle run" stage and didn't lose any shells. It's not pretty, but it works. :cheers:

post-61511-0-65832300-1464917951_thumb.j

post-61511-0-27085700-1464917961_thumb.j

Will do and how did you know my quad-loading shame? Did you just squeeze the aluminum ring until the overall diameter dropped down or did you just bend the bits that press against the red thingamabobbies?

• 2 months later...

I bent the spring as well, works for the short term but as the indents on the retainers wear in the problem persists. I find the 4 rounders are more reliable as the weight of 4 shells reduces the momentum of stacked shells and reduces the chance of a loose shell upon drawing the tubes. Also I found the 4 rounders shorter length makes for easier control of the nose of the tube to line it up to start the load. I was carrying them in the California competition works pouch. Not happy with it. Its a lot of upward motion to get them to clear, the individual pouches are tight and the tubes get hung up now and then, and the thing appears to be designed for a 7' tall guy. They position the leg strap is too low even when the belt loop is adjusted as high as it can go. Also the inner 4 and outer 4 pouches are spaced apart to far and everything is bouncy and loose. Feels like a loose mess. I just ordered a Safariland holder despite the reports of lack of retention. I figured I will work up something in the machine shop.