Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on new to me old SDB

A while back I picked up an older SDB set up for 9mm. I have had, and loved, a 550B for decades (really) and loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it. A good bud traded into the SDB and as he is a sho-nuff died in the wool Lee reloading equipment man he decided he had no use for the SDB. This guy has a couple of the Lee progressives and actually makes them run and likes them!

Anyway I figured there were a lot worse things to have than a Dillon progressive press set up dedicated to 9mm. A few years back I built a 9mm 1911 for USPSA Single Stack and like it a lot. Recently I began using my Browning HP for NRA Action Pistol. And with my daughter hopefully getting into the shooting sports soon I expect to need a lot of 9mm going forward. The SDB will allow me to use the 550B for other stuff but always be able to crank out some 9 on demand.

I did a little cleaning to the SDB and bolted it on my old reloading bench and adjusted stuff. I have cranked out a couple hundred rounds and while I can certainly load on it, I really (really) miss the larger window on the 550B. That and removing the locater pins from stations 2 and 3 (and 4) is damn awkward at best. I am actually thinking of making two new pins with protruding tabs for 2 & 3. I don't see how the tabs could be in the way and the pins would be infinitely easier to remove with a little tab.

I can take or leave the auto-indexing. Really, indexing the shell plate is so natural for me after all the rounds and years of loading on the 550B that I don't mind, and actually prefer manual indexing. Especially when I miss a crimped primer case and have to un-ass it from the press/process.

To sum, for what I am into the SDB ($200) I will load on it and be happy. If in the future the daughter wants it she can have it. But, if I was to buy another, additional press new I would go with another 550B sans caliber conversion kit. A 550B that way is only $4 more than a new SDB and I have everything for the 550B in every caliber I would load on a progressive.

Occasionally I give some thought to a 1050. I have the means to buy one and enough 9, 40, 45, 223, etc. components on hand to make it worthwhile. But I just don't shoot that much these days. Having the SDB and 550B set up where I can just sit down and load 1-2-300 rounds in an evening works for me.

I got a SD as match product 16 years ago and have probably cranked over 250,000 9mms out since then. They are a fine press, little small for the working area. The hot tip for the SD is to replace the magazine tube with one from a 650 and you will never have any more problems with the plastic ones. Just added the LED light. Roller handle from Ebay.

image37235.jpg

image37165.jpg

I must have small hands, I don't have any trouble with access to stuff on SDB. I sold mine to a friend who has had it rebuilt multiple times (after I had had it repaired twice.)

I now load .45 on a S1050 and other calibers on a 550, but every once in a while the notion of a 9mm SDB does cross my mind.

The hot tip for the SD is to replace the magazine tube with one from a 650 and you will never have any more problems with the plastic ones.

9x45, Thanks for the tip! Would you know the Dillon Part Number for the 650 magazine tube?

Would you know the Dillon Part Number for the 650 magazine tube?

Small Primer Magazine (for the 650): Dillon Part Number 22032

Be sure to look on the Dillon web site to confirm that this is what you are asking about.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mpssrh

Would you know the Dillon Part Number for the 650 magazine tube?

Small Primer Magazine (for the 650): Dillon Part Number 22032

Be sure to look on the Dillon web site to confirm that this is what you are asking about.

Hope this helps.

^ Thank you "mpssrh" !

• 2 weeks later...

Well dang, I only got about a thousand rounds loaded before I broke the old SDB. :blush: The stepped set screw holding the roller that activates the bell crank on the powder measure broke. A call to Dillon has the new upgraded parts headed this way. :D Same thing happened to my old 550b a few years back. Got to love a company that stands behind old second hand equipment. :wub: