Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mags

taxil343

Anyone cut the tabs off of the sides of their Glock mag tubes in order to make basepad removal easier? I shoot a Glock in production and run the Dawson EZ off basepads. Even with the Dawson basepads the mags are still difficult to open up for cleaning. I'm thinking about trimming the tabs off the sides of the mag tubes to make servicing the mags much easier. Is this a bad idea?

Well, there was the time at the last Area 2 match I shot where I had a mag spontaneously disassemble on a stage. Worn tabs in combination with a beat up base pad. Fortunately, it happened at make ready, but if that table start mag had pooped out just a few seconds later, I would have been SOL.

How do you take the base pads off? there are at two or three methods that I know of. I personally just use a punch in the retaining cut out for the base plate and just pry them off.

I just got 3 new mags from Natchez, 2 of them I almost couldn't get them off, the third one I haven't been able to remove yet. I use the punch in the base plate and a corner on a table and pry. This technique I have used for years and has always worked, but these mags are nearly impossible to get the pads off. I even tried a clamp to squeeze the sides a little and still can't get it off. However, when you do get them off the first time it starts to get easier every time you take them off, and I wouldn't remove the tabs. On my competition mags, I removed the tabs and use TTI base pads, he uses a pin that retains the pad and will not come off. To remove you just push the pin out of the way and remove, takes about 2 seconds.

I use the punch on my GTUL mag brush to get the basepads off. It's not that it's terribly difficult to remove them that bugs me. I'm typically a limited shooter and run Dawson +5 extensions on my mags. I trimmed the tab on those mags off on the side of the extension with the slider so disassembly is super easy. I guess I am looking for something that is as simple as that. I'll have to look into Taran's offerings

Push a punch, Glock armorer's tool, screw driver, etc. through the hole in the bottom of the base plate until you hear a click. Pry the basepad forward by putting your thumb on the front of the mag tube, wrapping your fingers around whatever tool you stuck in the basepad, and squeezing. I never use anything to squeeze the magazine tube down, and I never have an issue getting the basepads off.

• 1 month later...

I use a small C clamp or a small C clamp vise grip on the mag tube at the spot the tabs are and just below the mag base. Clamp down with just enough pressure to push the tabs out of the way. Then use a punch in the hole in the base. Mag base slides right off.

• 2 weeks later...