Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to seperate brass

Cundiff5535

Anyone have a good way to sort brass? I really hate doing it, and do not want to drop 1K on a sorter. I have the three plates but I do not think they are very useful. I do use the plate by hand... and have heard that I can put them on something that vibrates and it will do the work for me.

With over 30 5gal buckets to sort... I want to get it done.

i think this will be your best way without spending 1k plus

from the video description

We've been using the shell sorter plates for a few years now, and they work well. The hassle is the manual operation which kills elbows and shoulders. Thanks to a customer of ours, he showed us a video where he mated a 5 Gallon bucket to a Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler. This was one of the fastest, and easiest repurposings we've done. Simply remove the un-needed parts from the tumbler, drill 5 holes in a bucket, and re-assemble. Drop in a second bucket, then the appropriate shell sorting plate, and save your elbows/shoulders from abuse.

same one in video they have a cheaper $50 version that should work dont forget the %20 off coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

Edited by Smeeg

There is sorting brass... and then there is sorting brass.

If you don't care what stamps your brass is - then something like that will work.

If, however, you care about the head stamps, then you need to do it by hand.

I am not sure why people are so afraid of sorting by hand... you can do 1000pcs in 20 minutes if you are separating by head stamps. Much less if you don't.

I shoot Open, so to me head stamps are important. So when I get a batch of new mixed brass, I clean it, and then sort by hand - there are those brands that I would not use in my Open gun.

If you clean it in a rotary tumbler first, the job is then very clean. I used to sort the brass before cleaning - but I don't do that any more.

First, thanks for the cool sorting idea. I am going to give this a try this weekend!

As for being afraid to sort by hand, no... I just have a lot, a back back, and bad shoulders... and I seriously do not have time to do it. I work jobs, have two kids, a wife that keeps me busy at home, and travel a ton for one of those jobs... Literally busier than I know what to do.

When I do have time, sorting by hand isnt the end of the world, I just do not enjoy it....

First, thanks for the cool sorting idea. I am going to give this a try this weekend!

As for being afraid to sort by hand, no... I just have a lot, a back back, and bad shoulders... and I seriously do not have time to do it. I work jobs, have two kids, a wife that keeps me busy at home, and travel a ton for one of those jobs... Literally busier than I know what to do.

When I do have time, sorting by hand isnt the end of the world, I just do not enjoy it....

You've got two kids? Sounds like the problem's solved. :roflol:

You've got two kids? Sounds like the problem's solved. :roflol:

Lol, they are a bit to young for sorting brass... Soon though!!

sorting by hand... you can do 1000pcs in 20 minutes

A 5 gallon bucket can hold more than 8000 9mm cases. The OP has 30, 5 gallon buckets of brass, that's 80 hours of work if you don't stop or happen to mess up and drop the wrong case in the wrong pile.

You can drink beer and not get your hands dirty with something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFw7IcQUmgs

Edited by jmorris

5-gal Plastic buckets like a drywall bucket? Home Depot sells them new for $5 so I guess you wight be asking about a metal(/) 5-gal bucket?

I have no idea either.

He is asking about "buckets" with slots machined in them so it will separate brass by diameter.

5-gal Plastic buckets like a drywall bucket? Home Depot sells them new for $5 so I guess you wight be asking about a metal(/) 5-gal bucket?

I have no idea either.

He is asking about "buckets" with slots machined in them so it will separate brass by diameter.

Dawsonprecision.com. $37.95 for the 3 with free ship. My wife bought me a set for Christmas. I taped .38 Special to the walls of the bottom two pans in 4 places to give the pans more seperation.

Thanks guys, $39 is better. ;)

One thing is to use the shell sorter plates more efficiently.

I use one 5 gallon bucket with a lid as a stand. Another as the catch bucket. A lid over the top of a sorter tray lets you shake loose nested cases. The bucket stack makes shaking and swirling easier and more ergonomic.

30 buckets is still a lot of work!

i think this will be your best way without spending 1k plus

from the video description

We've been using the shell sorter plates for a few years now, and they work well. The hassle is the manual operation which kills elbows and shoulders. Thanks to a customer of ours, he showed us a video where he mated a 5 Gallon bucket to a Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler. This was one of the fastest, and easiest repurposings we've done. Simply remove the un-needed parts from the tumbler, drill 5 holes in a bucket, and re-assemble. Drop in a second bucket, then the appropriate shell sorting plate, and save your elbows/shoulders from abuse.

same one in video they have a cheaper $50 version that should work dont forget the %20 off coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HaiW8e33a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYLmZ7RSXc0

That is pretty slick, I believe I will have to give it a try one day, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for all the replies here, I got the $50 5lbs deal from Harbor Freight last night... I drilled one hole in a bucket, and literally was able to take the bowl off the tumbler and attach the bucket without any mods. I might cut down the marge screw that sticks up so I can use two buckets I also just used the plate that comes on the base from harbor freight.

I did about 1/3 of a bucket in like 5 mins... Works awesome!!!!

I am considering taking it back and getting the large tumber, but not sure if it's worth it since I know what I have works... I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Anyway, I appreciate the help on this, it's gonna make my life a lot easier.

Edited by Cundiff5535

Thanks so much for all the replies here, I got the $50 5lbs deal from Harbor Freight last night... I drilled one hole in a bucket, and literally was able to take the bowl off the tumbler and attach the bucket without any mods. I might cut down the marge screw that sticks up so I can use two buckets I also just used the plate that comes on the base from harbor freight.

I did about 1/3 of a bucket in like 5 mins... Works awesome!!!!

I am considering taking it back and getting the large tumber, but not sure if it's worth it since I know what I have works... I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Anyway, I appreciate the help on this, it's gonna make my life a lot easier.

Let me know how the 5lb one works long term

I actually took back the 5lb one and got the large one... First attempt with the larger one and I had brass everyplace... Ono it's Just To powerful. I Took the big one bag and got the 5lb again, seporated 3 bullets in less than an hour... I'm sure if I have issues, I'll report back, but I think this 5lb deal works better than the big one

Edited by Cundiff5535

Good post.

Watching vids of the big Harbor Freight unit with the sorting pans it looked like there was a lot of vibration. One of the vids showed a lyman1200 that worked pretty well, and that is a light weight machine probably on par with the HF 5 pounder. I'm thinking a lyman 2500 with 3.5 gallon buckets would be somewhere in between and worth a try.

Looks like a quick way to sort the .45s and 40s out of the 9mm/38 supers/380s. Unfortunately, that 9mm/38 brass still needs hand sorting for us mere mortals.

Looks like a quick way to sort the .45s and 40s out of the 9mm/38 supers/380s. Unfortunately, that 9mm/38 brass still needs hand sorting for us mere mortals.

For me, since almost all the brass I get is 9/40/45/223, this is fine, I don't care to pull the 223 out of the 9mm tray or the 38 out of the 40 tray. I guess I could go through 9 to double check if there is 380, but if there is, it's not much at all.

Edited by Cundiff5535