NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, brianr34 said:

Received my SS guiderod today that I ordered directly from them.  Fast delivery and great service.  I asked them to ship it to me without the spring installed.  

I installed a new 13lb IMSI Glock spring.   I am concerned that it might be a little bit too light.   If I do a press check even without a round in the barrel it returns slowly. 

If I try the Glock recoil test of holding trigger back with the muzzle pointing straight up, the slide does not always return to full battery.   Not exactly sure if this test is also valid with a PPQ. 

I will order and try a 15lb spring. 

I noticed some are using a spring for a Wilson gun.  Is there any reason this would perform different than the Glock spring?

Responding to an older post but ...

I have the SS Guiderod and spring. I also bought the 13 lb flatwire 1911 government model (5 inch) spring from Wilson Combat.
I asked SS Guiderods to not locktite the screw in, and I asked them what strength they ship the PPQ rod with. The RSA arrived loctited together and they never responded with their stock spring strength. Oh well.

Anyway, I removed their spring, which looks like a 15 lb WC 1911 spring. I replaced it with a 13 lb spring and went to the range. I brought 200 rounds to commit to testing the assemble in the PPQ for reliability (124 gr, pf around 130).

I found that the slide "slammed" more in recoil, like I felt recoil, then the smack of the slide. It was otherwise fairly reliable, until (I swear) round 180 or so. At that point I'm 99.95% sure that the gun fired out of battery. I didn't think it COULD, but apparently it can. Maybe when I get home, I'll see if the trigger releases the striker when the slide is slightly out of battery. In anycase, the gun did not blow up, but I could tell something weird just happened. I had to use a squib rod to poke out the case. I couldn't move the slide. The case I took out had the primer blasted out and the face was quite squashed (the printing on the case head was surely squashed) the front of the round  was 9mm chamber-ish in side, but the bottom of the case was clearly ballooned out.

Luckily it didn't burst. So ... I swapped the 13lb spring back in for the stock (probably 15 lb) spring. I can't tell if it is stronger or weaker than the stock factory spring. Seems reliable with whatever ships with it.

It IS possible that the round was not crimped properly or didn't gauge right. I bought the "hundo" case guage and have found that I'll have 1/150 rounds not gauge (glocked brass mostly) and the rounds I used that day were pre-gauge days, so it's possible a fatty snuck by. (All new rounds get  go/nogo on the hundo now of course) but, the gun had 2k+ rounds with the factory RSA previous to this happening with un-gauged rounds. So the only thing that changed wast the new RSA with the weaker 13 lb spring.

Bottom line is ... yeah the glock test is valid for the PPQ. I didn't do it, but I could feel how wimpy the spring was when I slightly pulled the slide back from battery and it was so mushy and easy to do with the 13 lb spring.

V

I’ve been running a 13lb Wilson 1911 spring in my Q5 since the day I set it up for matches and never had an issue with it.

13 feels light as far as “stay in battery” force, when you first install and test it by hand. For sure. But it feels no weaker than an M&P or Glock with the same spring.

And all three run fine with it in my experience, when fed good ammo.

A different topic..

I have heard on a different forum that the Apex flat trigger (a minor exterior mod) is now allowed in CO Div. Is that accurate? Has anyone installed and shot in CO?

22 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Yes and yes. 

Thanks, Brit. Do you like it? My slight concern is its reach when the trigger breaks - the distance between the trigger break point and the back of the grip - as I have a small hand with a short trigger finger. I do not want to put my finger on the right edge of the trigger and pull all shots to left :) 

On 4/9/2018 at 6:32 PM, jaep1911 said:

Thanks, Brit. Do you like it? My slight concern is its reach when the trigger breaks - the distance between the trigger break point and the back of the grip - as I have a small hand with a short trigger finger. I do not want to put my finger on the right edge of the trigger and pull all shots to left :) 

Is that an issue with the stock trigger you’re trying to fix, or do you fear the longer reach of the flat trigger might cause it to appear?

My GF loves shooting my factory gun with the small backstrap installed and her small hands, so I’m curious.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 4/9/2018 at 11:41 PM, BritinUSA said:

Approx 2.705” from front of depressed trigger to top of interchangeable blackstrap.

Thanks Brit for the measurement. I shall be ok with that.

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Is that an issue with the stock trigger you’re trying to fix, or do you fear the longer reach of the flat trigger might cause it to appear?

My GF loves shooting my factory gun with the small backstrap installed and her small hands, so I’m curious.

I am using the small back strap. The reason is that my hand does not like the pronounced bump on it. The latter is correct. I am just trying to figure out what negatives, if any,  the new trigger might bring to me. Based on the measurement above, it looks ok. In fact, the break point might work better for my hand.

Cheers

My buddy just installed an APEX last night. Hopefully I can compare ours side by side this weekend.

Also you can dremel the backstrap to the shape you want, and then griptape or stipple it. I’d probably be all over it in your case.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I bought one anyways and should receive it this Sat. Looking forward to it.

When I tried to remove the gut for polishing, the slide stop (left hand side) did not want to come out and I did not want to crack the frame so gave up. I am going to put a small drop of Kroil on the joint (on the right hand side) and hope it will come out this time.

1 hour ago, jaep1911 said:

I bought one anyways and should receive it this Sat. Looking forward to it.

When I tried to remove the gut for polishing, the slide stop (left hand side) did not want to come out and I did not want to crack the frame so gave up. I am going to put a small drop of Kroil on the joint (on the right hand side) and hope it will come out this time.

You need to raise the magazine release upward when pushing it out, it comes out easily. 

16 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

You need to raise the magazine release upward when pushing it out, it comes out easily. 

It does. But the gun isn’t Glock-like when it comes to detail stripping, that was my point.

Not as bad as an K&K or metal framed SIG, but no Glock. 

18 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Sorry, my post was not detailed enough. I meant that I was unable to even make the slide stop start moving from the right lever by fairly hard hits with a punch and a hammer.

Got the Apex trigger installed and am loving it. Both the trigger break and reset are more pronounced and the reset is like "Snap!". 

I need a lot of dry fire practice wth it as the trigger break point has moved forward. Upon my first draw with it, it broke as soon as I prepped the trigger :(:( 

One difference that I noticed was that the lifter for the FPB was re-shaped a bit. I guess that it is needed due to the different break point ?? 

• 1 month later...

From what I’ve read on here, it seems like most of you guys have settled on 13 lb recoil springs (or the springco system). It also seems like most people are shooting 147 grain bullets. 

That said, I’m getting ready to pick a new recoil spring (currently using factory), but I’m running 125 grain bullets. Will this matter much, or should I still plan on using the 13 lb? I’ve got 13 and 15 lb springs on the way to try. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy smoke. I have been using Taran Tactical Extended base pads and just found out today my mags do not fit the mag gage for CO. Maybe 0.1 ~ 0.2mm too long. I can grind it off but their base pads have no room for a variation of the mag tube length.

33 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Would grinding the back corner 1/16” or so be sufficient?

That shall be enough. 

Their website says "fits the USPSA gage"..... Maybe, Maybe not.

Edited by jaep1911

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 7:47 AM, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

This versus the tp9 sfx would be a tough call

Especially since they're basically the same pistol hahaha

I bought the tp9 sfx and it was ok. I checked out the Q5 at NRA show and I was totally impressed. Sold the TP9 sex and bought the Q5 match and glad I did. This is a very nice pistol. It shoots very flat. Only thing I added or changes was the magwell. I put a taran tactical flared Maxwell on it. Sights are great (rear is adjustable) , trigger is awesome ( for striker fired), and this thing shoots very tight groups.

6 hours ago, Smessen66 said:

I bought the tp9 sfx and it was ok. I checked out the Q5 at NRA show and I was totally impressed. Sold the TP9 sex and bought the Q5 match and glad I did. This is a very nice pistol. It shoots very flat. Only thing I added or changes was the magwell. I put a taran tactical flared Maxwell on it. Sights are great (rear is adjustable) , trigger is awesome ( for striker fired), and this thing shoots very tight groups.

lol

Edited by jaep1911