Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a shotgun...

e5young

How are you guys doing, I am interested in getting into the 3 gun scene and maybe once in a while going duck hunting. Question now is whether I should go cheap and get a stoeger m3k or go all out and get a benelli m1/m2. Either shotgun i choose will end up going to Taran to get Taranized. Taran has suggested that if i wanna save a bit of money, buy an M1 instead of an M2. Now to get into the technical differences, what does the m2 have that the m1 doesnt and vice versa. And also, what am i lacking by going with a m3k instead of a benelli?

Thanks guys!

Edited by e5young

Hi e5young.... I'm not a 'guy' but do have an opinion on this post. I run a M3k and would describe it as "less expensive" rather than cheaper. It's a good running shotgun. I chose the less expensive route to start off with thinking I can always move up to the more expensive ones later.....should I want/need to.

Your question has been answered many, many times on this forum. You can literally read yourself silly. Just search M3K, M2, & so on. It's mind blowing what you'll find.

Best of luck on your new adventure! You will have a BLAST!

If it goes bang....it's fun!

Nope! Don't buy a Stoeger....you can only get to 2nd at the USPSA Nationals with one...you can only nab a 3rd at SMM3G with one!

As suzhansen said..."less expensive" is what the M3000 is! You want to put 500 to 1000 dollars toward ammo and other shooting expenses

AND buy a shotgun??? Stoeger, is the answer.

I started with an m3k it was one of first ones. It ran ok at first . Once I started practing loading and shooting it a lot more i started to have issues with it extracting every single cycle. I replaced some parts and it will run good for a while but it has a malfunction every now and then. Once I decided I liked the sport enough and having a cheap shotgun that malfunction at a match every now was not fun when you investing a lot time training . I bought a benalli m2 from accurate iron and love it. Starting out it is hard to tell someone to spend +2000 on custom shop shotgun. You can always trade up but I wouldn't invest a lot in sending your m3k out to get work done it. If you have money to do that start with a benalli it is way better base gun the upgrade cost will be similar. My benalli has 2-3 x as many rounds thru it as my stoeger did and has never had a FTE or any issue. It is lighter , faster, handles better, etc and cost significantly more for reason.

Hi e5young.... I'm not a 'guy' but do have an opinion on this post. I run a M3k and would describe it as "less expensive" rather than cheaper. It's a good running shotgun. I chose the less expensive route to start off with thinking I can always move up to the more expensive ones later.....should I want/need to.

Your question has been answered many, many times on this forum. You can literally read yourself silly. Just search M3K, M2, & so on. It's mind blowing what you'll find.

Best of luck on your new adventure! You will have a BLAST!

If it goes bang....it's fun!

LOL i didnt mean it that way. but thanks. Time to start digging. I might end up with a m2....but who knows, maybe a cheap m1 will pop up, but since i think buying once and crying once might just be the way to go in this case, i will just pass on the m3k. thanks.

You can find used M1s in the $700 neighborhood and sometimes a bit less. Hard to beat that in my opinion.

seriously? where on earth are you looking....tell me please. LOL i can only find them used for around 900-1000 and thats if it hasnt already sold yet...

Nope! Don't buy a Stoeger....you can only get to 2nd at the USPSA Nationals with one...you can only nab a 3rd at SMM3G with one!

As suzhansen said..."less expensive" is what the M3000 is! You want to put 500 to 1000 dollars toward ammo and other shooting expenses

hmmm....im still far from that level but i guess that shows something LOL....i guess if imma get it taranized, might as well go all out...i hate being a broke college student...

I started with an m3k it was one of first ones. It ran ok at first . Once I started practing loading and shooting it a lot more i started to have issues with it extracting every single cycle. I replaced some parts and it will run good for a while but it has a malfunction every now and then. Once I decided I liked the sport enough and having a cheap shotgun that malfunction at a match every now was not fun when you investing a lot time training . I bought a benalli m2 from accurate iron and love it. Starting out it is hard to tell someone to spend +2000 on custom shop shotgun. You can always trade up but I wouldn't invest a lot in sending your m3k out to get work done it. If you have money to do that start with a benalli it is way better base gun the upgrade cost will be similar. My benalli has 2-3 x as many rounds thru it as my stoeger did and has never had a FTE or any issue. It is lighter , faster, handles better, etc and cost significantly more for reason.

hmm, sounds good, thanks for the suggestion. guess the extra money is for the better quality. though i have not heard much about problems with the m3k.

I have a Stoeger through MOA, thanks Tom, and frankly it runs everything I have ever put through it. I have had I believe three FTE with it and those were most likely my fault. I run Wally World Winchester, Low Brass Rio, and just about any other crap shells I can get cheap. My decision was to by a decent SG and spend the difference on Ammo.

For me the M3K was an excellent choice. If money were no object would I buy a Benelli? Maybe, or maybe I'd buy two M3Ks so to have a back-up because even a Benelli can break!

You can find used M1s in the $700 neighborhood and sometimes a bit less. Hard to beat that in my opinion.

seriously? where on earth are you looking....tell me please. LOL i can only find them used for around 900-1000 and thats if it hasnt already sold yet...
Look around on funbroker. I quit bidding on a camo one and it sold for $620. I just bought a used one in excellent condition locally for $650. They are out there. I just finished Duracoating it to make it easier to find in the rack.

post-7061-0-96372600-1452187489_thumb.jp

Edited by mscott

I've read good things about the Beretta 1301 competition and just bought one myself. I'll hopefully have it next week so I can start working with it. If your in the mode of a TTI M2, go that direction. It's top of the line. I didn't because my first match is in February and I wasn't sure they could fit me in by the time I got the M2 and sent it to them. If I like this sport as much as I hope I will I'll be getting one in time for next season.

An M1 or M2 will be a great shotgun, especially after TTI gets done with it. I have one of each and there is no functional difference, the M2 just looks a little cooler with the Comfortech stock. If anything, my M1 shoots a little softer. A word of advice though, if you get an M1, look for one with a regular field stock, as in no sling mount built in to the stock. The non pistol grip "tactical" stock with sling mount will work fine but does not allow the use of shims to fit the drop to you.

hmmm....im still far from that level but i guess that shows something LOL....i guess if imma get it taranized, might as well go all out...i hate being a broke college student...

Yep, it shows you don't need a Benelli.. you just want one. So make it happen.

Bear in mind that you don't HAVE to send an M1/M2 off to one of the excellent Gunsmiths mentioned previously to shoot 3 gun with it. A stock M1/M2 with a tube, a longer fiber front sight and perhaps a little mild smoothing of the loading port will go a long way. My basically stock M1 has helped me finish well at a few majors, it also completed the Ft. Benning match last month without a single malfunction (but, so did my rifle and pistol). I would look around, ask locals to let you try their shotguns (most, even those with really nice TTI, Accurate Iron or Triangle guns will be happy for you to try out their guns). Decide which one feels the best to you and then make a decision. I am not opposed to buying high end gear, I own some myself, but it is not to be construed as a necessity. If you are just getting into the sport, you would most likely be far better served spending the money that you are thinking of spending at the custom shop on ammo, just my opinion.

If you have the money and want a super cool customized shotgun, go for it, just don't think that you have to do that to get into the game.

Hurley

Bear in mind that you don't HAVE to send an M1/M2 off to one of the excellent Gunsmiths mentioned previously to shoot 3 gun with it. A stock M1/M2 with a tube, a longer fiber front sight and perhaps a little mild smoothing of the loading port will go a long way. My basically stock M1 has helped me finish well at a few majors, it also completed the Ft. Benning match last month without a single malfunction (but, so did my rifle and pistol). I would look around, ask locals to let you try their shotguns (most, even those with really nice TTI, Accurate Iron or Triangle guns will be happy for you to try out their guns). Decide which one feels the best to you and then make a decision. I am not opposed to buying high end gear, I own some myself, but it is not to be construed as a necessity. If you are just getting into the sport, you would most likely be far better served spending the money that you are thinking of spending at the custom shop on ammo, just my opinion.

If you have the money and want a super cool customized shotgun, go for it, just don't think that you have to do that to get into the game.

Hurley

This^^^