Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot drill and training accuracy.

CrashDodson

Anyone used a video camera to try and catch if your blinking or not? Looking around it seems like a camera with enough FPS to catch that is very expensive.

Have you seen your muzzle flash? If not you are probably blInking.

yeah, what he said.

If you see your brass eject that's a good indicator too ...

Im not seeing that either. Evidently Im a puss and scared of my gun
Pretty normal reaction to this explosion going off in front of your face .... Recognize it and train your way out of it, just one of many reasons this sport is hard to master ...

Im going to try ear plugs and then just turning up my electronic muffs all the way so I can hear conversations. When I RO on Saturday I am going to try and at least watch as much flying brass as I can, maybe I can catch myself doing it when others are shooting. Ill be right behind them so at least the sound should have the same effect.

It's not trigger control, if it was the other 5 wouldn't be there. It's anticipation that's causing that low left shot.

Try this take a dot, any dot, using a delayed beep on the timer, start the timer, take a sight picture on the dot and prep the trigger. When the beep sounds pull the trigger immediately, shot should break around .20. If you have poor trigger control the shots will be everywhere, if your trigger control is fine (you'll be pulling the trigger as quickly as you possibly can) then all your shots will be on the dot. If you hesitate and then pull you will throw the shot because you will not be reacting to the beep but to your own perceived idea of when the gun should go off and you will get a preignition push from anticipating the recoil.

Try it

This is some of the best advice I've ever read. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to do this on my next range trip.

Anyone used a video camera to try and catch if your blinking or not? Looking around it seems like a camera with enough FPS to catch that is very expensive.

Have you seen your muzzle flash? If not you are probably blInking.

yeah, what he said.

If you see your brass eject that's a good indicator too ...

Im not seeing that either. Evidently Im a puss and scared of my gun

almost everyone is. you really have to work at it. things that have helped me:

1. shoot with a .22 sometimes, and learn what it looks like to keep your eyes open, so you can recognize more easily when you are doing it right.

2. shoot with a .45 sometimes, with full house loads, so my wimpy little singlestack 9 feels like a .22.

3. push my tongue into the roof of my mouth and open my eyes a little wider (putting some tension in my face muscles).

4. shoot 6-10 shot strings. I often blink on the first shot, but then I see the rest of the shots. The first shot is always the hardest for me to see.

5. double plug, at least for practice. I personally don't care about conversations so I don't use electronic muffs. I just take my muffs off between shooters, esp in the summer.

despite all this stuff, it is still something I have to work on and think about constantly. I even find myself in dryfire sometimes blinking as the hammer drops. So then I work on it a bit more in dryfire.

if it was easy, everyone would do it. it would be like losing weight or running a marathon or brewing beer.

Remember that ultimately the only thing that matters for accuracy is where the gun is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel.

It doesn't matter how you pull the trigger if you can keep the gun still while doing it until the bullet is out of the barrel. The problem in your life fire is more than likely present in your dry fire, you just have to be disciplined and aware enough to see it.

Thanks for the replies. I shot a local IDPA match this morning. I got 2nd overall even with two misses. There was standards stage, similar to the classifier. Shoot 6 targets with 1 round each from one side of a wall, retention reload and then do it again from the other side. After that another retention reload moving up to a barrel and shooting the 6 again headshots only kneeling behind the barrel. I missed two of the headshots and was obviously not calling my shots.

While RO'ing the match I made sure to watch my shooters guns close. I could see the brass ejecting and could see mussel flashes, so I wasn't blinking then. Something definitely happens when I am shooting where I dont see either of those things. I dont know if maybe I have more of a target focus and that's why I am having trouble calling my shots. I'm decently accurate and fast enough to win local matches but still not seeing my shots. When the buzzer goes off I am in auto pilot and dont remember much of anything until the gun is back in the holster. Back to practice to try and figure this out.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who hasn't tried the dot drill, I highly recommend it.

In the North country I don't shoot all winter and I am using the dot drill to knock the rust off of my pistol shooting.

This is an excellent drill that forces you to track that front sight and get back to calling those shots.

In my opinion, it works wonders.

• 1 month later...

I've been certain things hat I'm blinking. Yesterday, I did plugs and muffs. In speed mode, I see the sights lift and track though recoil process. When shooting groups, I blink. This is my top area of improvement for the near future.