Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure not retracting

Just got my Lee Turret Press setup yesterday and attached the auto-disk powder measure. It worked fine once or twice and then I noticed that it was leaking powder onto the disk and the disk wasn't fully retracting enough to drop another charge into the cavity after the brass was pulled down from the station. Has anyone experienced this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as not returning properly, make sure the tab from the lever is in the correct slot on the bottom of the disc. Also make sure the spring and return chain are configured correctly.

For the leakage, first check the wiper to make sure there isn't anything caught on it. And as ranger pointed out, make sure everything is square and tightened correctly. The discs are hard plastic but not perfect. I've lapped mine with 400 and then 800 grit wet dry paper. It's basically breaking them in faster. Once worn in, they seal quite well.

Loosen the two screws holding the powder hopper onto the disc. The disc is probably under too much tension. I still use that powder drop on my Dillon 550 (heresy!).

Correct tension on the screws is critical, smoothing the metal surface and the disc tops and bottoms also helps.

Multiple Heresy, I have 5 of these measures that I use on my Dillon 550, I leave the measure set up with the dies on a tool head for each caliber. On 2 calibers that I load both smokeless and Black Powder I have 2 measures. I just change the measure that is already set up for the correct load for that powder onto the tool head. I do use the "Pro" model hopper to accommodate the powder volume needed on the BP measures. I could not afford to do this with the Dillon Measures. I bought all but 1 of mine used from people who thought they needed "something better".

As far as not returning properly, make sure the tab from the lever is in the correct slot on the bottom of the disc. Also make sure the spring and return chain are configured correctly.

For the leakage, first check the wiper to make sure there isn't anything caught on it. And as ranger pointed out, make sure everything is square and tightened correctly. The discs are hard plastic but not perfect. I've lapped mine with 400 and then 800 grit wet dry paper. It's basically breaking them in faster. Once worn in, they seal quite well.

Thanks, I figured out the slot thing though instructions aren't very intuitive. Any advice for making sure the spring is configured correctly? I just took it out of the box and started using it.

The spring goes on the chain and under the platten. Like most other brands, there are a few tips and tricks to get up and running. Check out the The Load Master Zone: http://loadmastervideos.com/. Tons of helpful videos and instructions specific to Lee products.

Some people have had problems, especially with the older style primer feed, but my Loadmaster runs fine. If you have the older system, you can replace it with modified one from Mikes Reloading, or just buy the new one.

Any advice for making sure the spring is configured correctly? I just took it out of the box and started using it.

With the ram at the bottom of the stroke pull the chain through the back hole as snugly as you can, while keeping slight tension on the chain raise the ram just enough to get one more ball of the chain through the opening, then lower the ram and thread the remainder of the chain through the other hole to keep it snug. If done correctly the spring at the bottom of the ram should be just slightly compressed with the ram at the bottom of the stroke.

^^^ Dave33, our responses illustrate that fact that some people are better instructors than others. I actually went to the press and messed with the chain to make sure I was telling him the right things. Even after doing it myself, i didn't properly describe what I had done. I suppose that was because it has become second nature. Thanks for the full explanation. :bow:

^^^ Dave33, our responses illustrate that fact that some people are better instructors than others. I actually went to the press and messed with the chain to make sure I was telling him the right things. Even after doing it myself, i didn't properly describe what I had done. I suppose that was because it has become second nature. Thanks for the full explanation. :bow:

No problem. After buying a few feet of backup chain from the local hardware store cause I kept snapping mine regularly while reloading I finally took the time to learn the right way, and when I did, I'm still on the same chain tens of thousands of rounds later. No more broken chains, never a squib or a double charge. (knocking on wood now...)

HOWEVER, now that I have been using my Lee auto drum I won't be worrying about the disks or return chains again. I cant recommend the auto drum enough. Perfect with small charges, flake powder, no leaks, screws right in and ready to go and cheap to buy.

Edited by dave33

Guys he's using it on a turret press so isn't, or at least shouldn't be, using the chain. What's the point of the chain anyway, it's part of the disconnector? Doesn't the Loadmaster auto index? If so, why use it?

I saw the question about the chain setup and assumed it was for the Pro 1000 or Loadmaster as they set up the same way just on different sides of the press. The turret press definately should be using the return spring system.

Or the new auto drum... :ph34r:

I agree with Steve. Even on my loadmaster I used the spring return setup not the chain system. The spring is plenty strong and gives a nice positive return. My spare measure which came setup for the chain I converted back to spring too.

You do need to keep an eye on it to make sure nothing fails but I had 10,000+ rounds on the original spring without issue.

I use the pro auto drum now and its spring return is even befier.

Well, since multiple people have mentioned the the new LEE PRO AUTO DRUM - can you use that powder drop for rilfe charge weights? I prefer the "disc" feature for pistol but am interested in a powder drop for 223, 308, and 6.5 Grendel.

Guys he's using it on a turret press so isn't, or at least shouldn't be, using the chain. What's the point of the chain anyway, it's part of the disconnector? Doesn't the Loadmaster auto index? If so, why use it?

The chain is kind of a fail safe device of sorts. It is slacked when you charge the case and the measure dumps the charge and returns the measure when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke.

You can replace it, I ran mine with a spring instead, just understand if you do this you must make nothing but full and complete strokes any back and forth in the middle and you will be able to double charge.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am using the Auto-Disk powder measure that doesn't have a chain so that confused me a little :surprise: But the links and info look to be invaluable in general and given me a lot to go over after my Range Officer class this weekend as have been busy with work and prepping for that. And yes, definitely the Pro Auto Drum is on my radar especially after so many mentions but one thing at a time.