Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Caliber should I chose?

Rich

I've done a lot of research and have pretty much decided on getting a Springfield XD.  I really like the sounds of the .40, especially the newer ported model but I'm not sure.  I'm a relatively new shooter, been about 2 years mostly with rental guns or through friends.  I've shot a 9mm from a bunch of manufacturors and a .40 by sig and another by berreta.  I've used glocks a good bit too.  This would probably eventually be a CCW gun but for now just target/drill shooting.  I'm aware the shells for a .40 are typically more $ but I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?  I'd appreciate any tips.  Thanks.

Rich

If you're going to compete with the gun, it's going to be in Production div, or in Limited 10, and/or in IDPA.  I don't think you can even get mags for that gun with more than 10 rounds, so that's not an issue when selecting caliber.

.40 factory ammo is substantially more expensive than 9mm, but if you're going to reload your own ever, the cost differential is much smaller, probably negligible.

I don't know much about .357 Sig...probably only worth consideration if this gun is for self defense.  Harder to come by than .40 or 9mm, may outperform both in "stopping power", but I don't know for recoil or accuracy.

jhgtyre covered the drawback of porting for competition purposes.  I don't really see porting as a needful thing, but I've never shot a ported pistol...

So, yeah...did that help any???

DogmaDog

1st DON"T BUY THE PORTED GUN! Will not work for USPSA sice you be in open competing against $2500 race guns w/ 28 round mags.

Really 2 ways to go if you want to be competitive w/ the XD (nothing wrong w/ the XD! Good gun). 1) 9mm 2) 40

Why?

1) Production treats all guns at 9mm or over the exact same way for scoring.  Most experts agree that the right ammo in a 9mm makes the gun easier to shoot in our style competition (USPSA and IDPA) than a .40 S&W.  (for the rest of you: Yeah, I know about Todd's .40 Para - blah blah blah! shoot a 9 in Production for crisake!!).  Also, the XD can handle the hottest 9mm ammo out there and w/ the right hoolowpoint ammo, the 9mm is an excellent defense round (flame suit on).  Don't buy the hype about .40 and .45. I have a CCW and I carry a 9.

2) If you do buy the non-compensated XD in .40, thats OK too.  You can shoot it competitively in L-10 class w/ the mags you buy anywhere.  DOn't get wrapped up in the limited classes & hi-caps, just save your money for match entry fees and practice ammo.  

If I were you, I'd buy the 9, buy a case of Blazer 9mm ammo from Natchez (still like $4.85 a box -  even less at some sporting goods place in the south). get a $15 Kydex holster from U. Mikes (make sure its Kydex!!) matching mag holders and go shooting! You might be surprised how well you can do!

I own a 9mm XD. That's what I'd recommend if your heart is set on the XD. Stay away from the ported guns. .40/.357 caliber mags work as 15-rounders in the 9mm. If you're going to use the gun in competition, I'd go for the Tactical (5-inch barrel). The .40 Tactical is also a great gun, but the 5 extra rounds are nice to have in 9mm (though you cannot use them in USPSA competition unless you want to move up to Limited division).

JMO... YMMV

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll probably go with the 9.  Seems like the best choice, the extra 5 in the mag makes it real tempting.  Am I right in that a 9mm is usually more accurate than a .40?  Have heard this but never really knew anyone with 2 cals of the same gun to compare.  Either way, as soon as I find a good deal on the 9mm, I'll be picking one up.  

Rich,

No, 9mm isn't usually more accurate than .40.  I've heard the .40 had some initial accuracy issues when it was first introduced, but the bugs have been worked out.  

If there is an accuracy benefit to the 9mm, it's that the recoil is somewhat less, and you'll be able to shoot accurately, faster than with the .40.

Anyway, a 9mm is a good first choice for a gun, since you can afford to practice with it.  

And it won't be your last gun, so don't stress too much over it!  ;)

DD    

• 2 years later...

You mentioned that this may be a CCW gun someday - if this is the case then definitely don't get the ported barrel. This would produce much more muzzle blast that would blind your eyes in a defensive situation in the dark. I own a XD40 and it's very accurate, easy to handle and a lot of fun. Hope all goes well!

What everyone else said, +1

.40 bullets are 30% more expensive than 9 bullets. You can get 9 brass for next to nothing. 9 brass for $8 to $15/k....40 brass for $25 - $40/k. 9 is cheaper!!!

.357 Sig brass is more scarce than clothes at a strip club. It's around but you can never find it. Does anyone make dies for .357 Sig?

www.pistol-gear.com has a lot of stuff for the XD, including Hi-Caps.

What everyone else said, +1

.40 bullets are 30% more expensive than 9 bullets.  You can get 9 brass for next to nothing.  9 brass for $8 to $15/k....40 brass for $25 - $40/k.  9 is cheaper!!!

.357 Sig brass is more scarce than clothes at a strip club.  It's around but you can never find it.  Does anyone make dies for .357 Sig?

www.pistol-gear.com has a lot of stuff for the XD, including Hi-Caps.

9mm good gun.

I get .40 brass for about the same price as 9mm ($15/1000), the .40 bullets do cost about 30% more. .357 Sig is scarce.

Dillon has .357 Sig dies.

I agree - 9mm over .40 -for your purpose anyway. I've owned both, but currently own a .40 the only reason being that my purpose is more for self-defense and possibly Law Enforcement/Security in the near future. But again, for your purposes definitely go with the 9mm. You'll find recoil much softer, getting back down on your target easier and faster, and long shooting sessions a lot more enjoyable -on the pocket book and the wrist. :)

Have Fun!!!

On the line of self-defense, let me add, it is debatable and I would rather carry a .40 or .45 for self-defense, yet the New York Police Department currently use 9mm handguns loaded with Speer Gold Dot hollow-point ammo - someone help me out - I think they are using it loaded with 124 gr. bullets.

Sounds like they are pretty happy with how they perform.

On the other hand some reports from the military show otherwise concerning 9mm, although I'm not sure what kind of bullets they use.

All this to say get a 9mm and for competition and load it with whatever you like, but if you are going to use it for self-defense then load it with a good hollow-point (there are many other great hollow-points out there besides Gold Dot). I heard of someone in WWII that got shot with a FMJ bullet from a 9mm and he didn't even notice he'd been hit for quite some time.

Have fun, and be safe! ;)

On the other hand some reports from the military show otherwise concerning 9mm, although I'm not sure what kind of bullets they use. 

All this to say get a 9mm and for competition and load it with whatever you like, but if you are going to use it for self-defense then load it with a good hollow-point (there are many other great hollow-points out there besides Gold Dot).  I heard of someone in WWII that got shot with a FMJ bullet from a 9mm and he didn't even notice he'd been hit for quite some time.

I know the US Military uses FMJ, I'm pretty sure because of the Geneva convention. There are many after-action reports coming back from Iraq where 9mm FMJ in an M9 have failed to stop enemy combatants either on the first shot or at all.

In modern self-defense ammo, some 9mm +P loads can deliver more energy than standard .45ACP loads and even some .45ACP +P loads. Check the CorBon website for specifics.

I'm going to leave it at that and withhold any opinion on the subject given the topic is venturing outside the realm of forum guidelines.

I pulled up that part of the guidelines just now and I'll post it for us all:

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.)

While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged.

I don't know - did I venture outside of these guidlines?

Again, please let me know what you all think.

I want to follow the guidelines as close as possible.

Thanks!

I don't know - did I venture outside of these guidlines?

Again, please let me know what you all think.

I want to follow the guidelines as close as possible.

I personally don't think so. I just wanted to avoid an extended debate about self-defense ammunition which aside from being outside the forum guidelines usually devolves into flamewar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I carry a Glock 19C and can only tell you from my experience using it in competition. I ran into the problem they are talking about. Shooting against some really tricked out guns with a production G19 compensated. I also ran into the fact I was shooting in minor power category also.

Now on a Glock I was able to buy a regular barrel and use it with my Compensated slide. So that took care of that problem. I am not sure how the compensated barrel works on a XD, but know it is a great gun to own. I have shot the XD's and really like them. I think you need to decide what power category you want to shoot in also.

Sometimes depending on how my neck and back are, I shoot a Kimber CDP. The other thing you need to look at is accuracy. For me a 5" is more accurate then a 3 or 4". Since it is going to be a carry gun, also you might give up some accuracy. I like to shoot IDPA with what I am going to use in the real world. That includes shooting a Glock 33 in 357sig and sometimes put a 40-conversion barrel into it. I will say with a 3.5" barrel it does make things interesting and shows me what needs to be corrected for real life problems.

Since I carry either a G19C, G33, Kimber CDP tactical or a Browning FN High Power. I like to shoot all of them in the IDPA meets. I am setting up a full length 1911 for the IPSC shooting or maybe a Glock or XD since I do like the feel of them also. Again it all depends what you’re going to do. Carry only, carry and compete or compete