Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Electronic Scale Question?

I'm using a Dillon Electronic scale for my pistol loads. Last night I let a load sit on the scale for a couple of minutes I noticed a fluxuation in the read out. I'm trying to to get a 3.5 measurement and the read out went from 3.5 then 3.3/3.4. Is this normal??. I normally just use the initial read out as my gauge ......any experiences with this....I used it plugged in and on battery.

Final question....when I put the enclosed weight on the scale to check calibration I get a 3 digit 49.99 read out...why don't I get the same read out with a charge on the scale ....just wondering.....Thanks in advance....just trying to figure this stuff out..........

Electronic scales are susceptible to outside influences. Those are: air currents, where the weight is placed on the scale platform, vibrations and florescent lights (don't ask me about the last one because I'm not sure!). When putting a weight on the scale, take the reading that first stabilizes. If it changes a few seconds later, it's due to one of the factors I mentioned above, and the first reading is fine. If you want to check, you can remove the weight, re-calibrate the scale if needed and try re-weighing.

To mitigate these influences, put the scale on a solid platform, either away from the reloading press or even better on a separate table. Make sure there are no air currents, such as furnace's, ac, or even nearby computers. Always place the weight in the same spot on the scale platform. In the case of the lights, try with and without. I have florescent lights and they don't seem to affect my scale, but I have read others say they do effect theirs. Probably depends on the type of light, balances used and location distance from the scale.

Edited by Tom S.

Electronic scales are susceptible to outside influences. Those are: air currents, where the weight is placed on the scale platform, vibrations and florescent lights (don't ask me about the last one because I'm not sure!). When putting a weight on the scale, take the reading that first stabilizes. If it changes a few seconds later, it's due to one of the factors I mentioned above, and the first reading is fine. If you want to check, you can remove the weight, re-calibrate the scale if needed and try re-weighing.

Agreed but my Dillon scale continues to climb if you leave weight in the pan as well

They can also be affected by changes in the power supply. I can have it out of any draft, heating, etc, but when the furnace in my house comes on or shuts off, there's a power drop or surge, respectively. It's only minor, but as sensitive as these scales are, anything that changes the current will affect them.

Last night I let a load sit on the scale for a couple of minutes I noticed a fluxuation in the read out. I'm trying to to get a 3.5 measurement and the read out went from 3.5 then 3.3/3.4. Is this normal??.

Many balances use a 'zero-tracking' feature to compensate for drift. This is especially the case in strain-gauge balances (which includes most balances under $500). When the balance is at or near zero the balance will continuously home-in towards zero. Leave a weight on the balance (such that it is not indicating near zero) and zero-tracking can be prevented from operating, so drift accumulates unabated. Drift can often be reduced by allowing the balance a long warm-up time (at least an hour - I aim for 24 hours) and maintaining a steady room temperature, but drift is still a factor of life with many balances. As long as your measuring workflow allows the balance to 'see' zero for a short period every cycle, and you observe your reading within a short time after the balance has seen zero, the readings should be reliable.

Thanks to all...unfortunately I load in my basement...so I have drafts, a fan blowing , a refrigerator running, and of course fluorescent lights.....yikes...I'm screwed ....lol

I'm sticking with the initial reading as my benchmark....I wish I was smart enough to convert grams to grains for a more accurate reading ...oh well........Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!

.I wish I was smart enough to convert grams to grains for a more accurate reading ...oh well........Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!

The Dillon scale doesn't read in Grains??
I think he is talking about the fact the Dillon scale measures out to 2 digits past the decimal in grams?

Thanks to all...unfortunately I load in my basement...so I have drafts, a fan blowing , a refrigerator running, and of course fluorescent lights.....yikes...I'm screwed ....lol

I'm sticking with the initial reading as my benchmark....I wish I was smart enough to convert grams to grains for a more accurate reading ...oh well........Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!

The accuracy and resolution of the scale does not change with a change of units. The table below shows 3.00 to 3.20 grain weights in 0.01 grain steps , calculated gram equivalents and the right hand 2 columns are how the weight would be displayed on the Dillon scale in grain and gram settings. Not much difference. Actually, using the grams scale is slightly worse!

ScaleUnitsComparison.pdf

I don't know exactly where Dillon rounds up or down but this chart will give you a pretty good idea of what happens when an analog world gets digitized. The formal name for this is "quantization error"

Edited by ChuckS

The accuracy and resolution of the scale does not change with a change of units.

Internal resolution, maybe not, but readable resolution certainly does.
The Dillon is readable to 0.1 grains, which is 6.48mg. When in grams, it is readable to 10mg - rather coarser.
Lab balances, such as the popular A&D Fx-120i, are typically readable to 0.02 grains or 0.001 grams. In other words, the balance is readable to a resolution of 1 mg when on the gram scale, or 1.3 mg on the grain scale. This causes some folk to use the gram scale to obtain finer readability. Likewise, analytical balances usually read to 0.1 mg or 0.002 grains, so again the gram scale offers finer readability.

grams and grains and tons and are all just units of weight. How many kilometers per liter do you get on your truck? Uh, I don't know, I get 12 miles to a gallon, or with my HumVee, 12 gallons to the mile. The unit of grains is the English unit commonly used for reloading. We weigh bullets, cases and powder charge in grains. IPSC guys use units of grams. Point is any scale from $25 to $25,000 has a variance. However that is usually several orders of magnitude smaller than the variance from the powder thrower, and that in turn is several many more orders of magnitude smaller than the influence the shooter has on the outcome of POA/POI.

Far more important is the end item of precision and accuracy..

cub_navigation_lesson04_figure1.jpg

Edited by 9x45