Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your call?

robport

You have a course of fire that calls for 2 shots at three targets strong-hand, a step back, then a reload

2 more shots at the same three targets weak hand, a step sideways, then another reload

2 more shots at the same three targets free hand.

The gun and all magazines had to be loaded to six rounds so both reloads were "emergency". It was a standard stage and was limited.

The competitor forgets to move and shoots them all from the same spot, doing the reloads as the course of fire demands.

How many PE's does he or she get and why?

I'm asking because I really don't know.

My thought differed from the 3 SO's I talked to about it who changed their answers as they found out what the others thought...lol

I would say 7. One for not following COF and 6 for the 7th-12th shots that were a step closer than they should have been which would be an advantage for each shot fired...?

Damn near an FTDR, but I kinda feel like that one requires intent.

Doesn't affect the question, but it's an illegal stage. 6.1, you can't specify the number of rounds required in magazines for reloads.

6.1 A Stage Description cannot override the rulebook except under the following conditions:

6.1.1 To address a safety concern as it applies to the limits of the range

6.1.2 Provide the option of not wearing a concealment garment.

6.1.3 Specify the number of rounds in the firearm at the start of the stage, up to division capacity.

6.1.4 Specify the start condition and position for the firearm, and the start position for ammunition feeding devices.

6.1.5 Specify the shooter start position.

Edited by okorpheus

I have this on three forums and have actually been surprised, with all the detailed rules discussions that go on, how few responses it's gotten. I'm feeling better about it though.

Even though I probably got it wrong, so would have a lot of other people.

4 people have said 1 PE for not following the course of fire.

5 people have said 2 PEs, 1 for each step not taken

3 people have said 3 PE's, 1 for each step not taken and 1 for not following the course of fire.

1 person said 7

1 person said 12.

I would have called two but agree now that it should have been one.

The actual call was that the person was given three.

Since I started studying the rules and playing SO on occasion (non-sanctioned matches with a real one as the scorekeeper), I've really come to appreciate what they do and just how hard it is...and how stressful.

Edited by robport

Doesn't affect the question, but it's an illegal stage. 6.1, you can't specify the number of rounds required in magazines for reloads.

6.1 A Stage Description cannot override the rulebook except under the following conditions:

6.1.1 To address a safety concern as it applies to the limits of the range

6.1.2 Provide the option of not wearing a concealment garment.

6.1.3 Specify the number of rounds in the firearm at the start of the stage, up to division capacity.

6.1.4 Specify the start condition and position for the firearm, and the start position for ammunition feeding devices.

6.1.5 Specify the shooter start position.

The rule book does not say you can't specify the number of rounds required in magazines for reloads:

3.11 Firearms and magazines must always be loaded to the shooter’s division capacity, unless otherwise specified by the stage description.

8.1.2.1 All magazines must be loaded to division capacity at the start signal throughout the match except in the following cases:

8.1.2.3 The CoF description may require reduced magazine loading.

Seems to be a conflict in the rules then. 6.1 limits what rules can be modified by a stage description and number of rounds in reload magazines isn't included. In fact, 6.1.4 seems to go out of the way to exclude start condition of magazines from being modified by the stage description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk