Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited .40 - First Impressions

Chutist

I'd been shopping for a 2011 to get back into shooting USPSA after a 20 year layoff... Some REALLY interesting choices out there and some fine guns being made by shops that didn't existed when I "left". It was like picking puppies! I did find a builder that I will go with for an open gun...But that's another story. ;)

I ended up getting a deal I couldn't refuse from our own "RWATTS" on a STI DVC Limited...so I pulled the trigger - pun intended. :D Ryan was great to deal with and made the purchase easy. My lovely state put my new toy in gun jail for the required ten days... and I got to pick her up last night!

Cell phone pic of the new Beauty.

BA37FF4E-E41A-485B-B407-297F66BE6B96_zps

Now I wasn't sure what to expect, reviews here have been a mixed bag on the DVC. ;) But say what you will but I think it's a good looking pistol! Fit and finish were every bit as good as my 3 custom shop guns ( Springfield, EGW, MMCM)... In fact BETTER. I've seen the video's on here - rattles, creepy trigger - not this one. The gun is tight, Trigger is crisp. Shops gauge said 3 pounds. No creep at all. Nice details all over the gun...I noticed there was even a little ball cut on the Slide lock lever. The thing really oozed "Quality". :D

It was getting late but I hustled out to the range to start breaking it in... I took it out of the case and saw that it was lubed already, so I loaded up the two factory mags with ammo from my grab bag of old duty ammo. With that ammo is shoots a touch low at 15 yards. I shot a couple of groups and some time on the plate rack. I could see some vertical stringing in the groups...I would attribute to variation in ammo and breaking it and ME. The lower group was first and upper is after about 50 rounds.

Cold dark group shooting 15 yards.

B9CAA370-4C8D-4928-A7DF-F7CF2ED5A1C4_zps

I put over 100 rounds through it and had two stoppages. Both failure to go into battery fully. Looked like the same thing my EGW para .45 does with "short" ammo... I saved both rounds so I could check them later. Both were Federal HP's with the large mouth and were 1.122 OAL. I'm going to attribute the issue to ammo - short with aggressive HP(Hydra-Shok).

Dawson Fiber optic was really nice. After a few passes I was able to track it in recoil and get on the next plate as it was coming back down. The cuts and stippling on the grip felt great and the gun pointed very naturally for me. Considering I was running ammo around 180PF the gun was nice to shoot. Can't wait to get some loads ready that are "closer" the major PF floor. ;)

Did the first cleaning at lunch today, man the Tool-less Guide rod is a great addition! Made disassembly a snap! :D

I'm happy with it. I have two MBX mags and a DOH holster on the way. With any luck I'll get to go to 5 Dogs for the Match Saturday! :D

Edited by Chutist

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting on my DVC which will hopefully be here in January. Ive been getting worried with all the reviews saying the gun likes longer hand loads. I currently shoot Speer lawman 180 grain because its what my dept uses and its free. Ive ordered three mbx magazines hoping a tuned mag will feed better. Don't want to have to buy a Dillon reloader after dropping this much coin on a pistol.

Sheepdog...

What's the OAL on that ammo?

All my other duty ammo I've checked has been closer to 1.130 - which should be just fine in this gun. I'm not to concerned -> those two rounds may have been chamber before and got set back a bit because of it? Or Hydro Shok is maybe just a short OAL round?

Second question.... Why are you waiting there are guns in stock, Ryan may have another... ;)

My MBX's will be here tomorrow according to the tracking info. I should get to shoot with them over the weekend.

Oh and UPS brought my X-tream bullets 180 HP's! So I'll get to load up some match ammo! :D Oh and you NEED a Dillon 650! :roflol:

Edited by Chutist

I have had my DVC for a couple of months now and I like it more and more each day. I had a few feeding issues in the beginning but I think I have those worked out. I have probably shot about 700 rounds wit no issue since I went with the EGW undersize die and their chamber gauge.

I've had decent luck with my DVC limited 9. I've always shot a M&P before, so this is my first 2011 - so I haven't had my hands on any of the custom 2011's out there.

I've done a lot of dry fire practice lately and put about 1k through it over the past month. It has fed everything I have put through it so far: factory: 115 gr, 124 gr, 158 gr; reloads: 115 gr, 124 gr, 147gr. My OAL was shorter on all of the reloads except for the 124s that I finally started working up a load for this gun. I set them longer since everyone else said they had good luck with a longer OAL.

I've had only 1 mag issue with the factory mags so far; I think it was user error on assembly the mag back together after I cleaned it. I'm still waiting on some TTI basepads from the black friday deals. I'm going to experiment between different guts between (2 will run TTI guts and I think I ordered grams for the other 2).

I've had decent luck with my DVC limited 9. I've always shot a M&P before, so this is my first 2011 - so I haven't had my hands on any of the custom 2011's out there.

I've done a lot of dry fire practice lately and put about 1k through it over the past month. It has fed everything I have put through it so far: factory: 115 gr, 124 gr, 158 gr; reloads: 115 gr, 124 gr, 147gr. My OAL was shorter on all of the reloads except for the 124s that I finally started working up a load for this gun. I set them longer since everyone else said they had good luck with a longer OAL.

I've had only 1 mag issue with the factory mags so far; I think it was user error on assembly the mag back together after I cleaned it. I'm still waiting on some TTI basepads from the black friday deals. I'm going to experiment between different guts between (2 will run TTI guts and I think I ordered grams for the other 2).

I looked at buying factory mags and replacing the guts. By the time you buy a factory mag and replacement guts - you can just buy a complete MBX. If I put it together and it isn't reliable, it's on me. If I buy an MBX and there's an issue, I believe they will make it right. I'm sure MBX picking that price point was not an accident! ;) LOL!!!

...besides my wife said "ooooh I like those with the red base pads!" Ya, I married well! :D

I looked at buying factory mags and replacing the guts. By the time you buy a factory mag and replacement guts - you can just buy a complete MBX. If I put it together and it isn't reliable, it's on me. If I buy an MBX and there's an issue, I believe they will make it right. I'm sure MBX picking that price point was not an accident! ;) LOL!!!

...besides my wife said "ooooh I like those with the red base pads!" Ya, I married well! :D

Yea, I thought about that as well. With the TTI black friday sale I was able to get new guts and basepad for each mag for $43 (minus a new spacer - hopefully the factory spacer works). I ended up ordering 2 sets and the other two will be gifts to me for Christmas (thanks to the mother in law). Good luck with the MBX mags; I'll probably be looking at those for mag number 5 and 6 down the road.

That is one nice wife; I was thrilled she was okay with me ordering the DVC. :)

I've heard mixed reviews on the DVC but it always ends in the same; after you break the gun in, it seems to run flawlessly..

I was torn on whether or not to go with the DVC in 9mm given it's mixed reviews. Glad to hear that yours runs like a champ only having 1 mag issue.. I came from a Glock background and looking to upgrade...

Got more range time with mine today and got it sighted in... Been a long time since I had a gun with adjustable sights! I started to look for a punch before I realized what I needed was a screwdriver! LOL!!!

Gun ran pretty well. I did have one stoppage and I stopped to document it. After looking it over, I think it may be extractor related. it stopped right with the round coming under the extractor. I"m going to pull it down and polish the extractor tonight. Here's a pic

A808065D-D124-449A-8287-F22B31723F8B_zps

Second pic, different angle

1B617967-C4FC-4792-B4BC-7E3F428DE73A_zps

When I saw how it was stopped and that it was right up against the extractor. I dropped the mag and though the mag well I pushed up on the back of the round and it went under the extractor and the round went right into battery.

This was about the 200 round mark, the gun was clean at the start but after 200 rounds it was getting pretty dirty.

I was running the gun completely WET and other than that stoppage it ran well.

Edited by Chutist

I'm glad sTI fixed your dvc and replaced the barrel. And it seems they got it done fairly close to the quoted time frame (within a week or so anyway).

Now you can enjoy it. :)

BeerBaron - Mine didn't need any fixing, been a great gun from the start. :D

ericridebike -> I just got X-tream bullets so I can start working up loads! I would have loaded some last night but my 20yo PACT scale died.... gotta get another scale. That OAL is interesting... most of the factory HP I have are 1.125 to 1.130 - 1.180 would change the force and angle of the round coming up under the extractor...

I shoot with a guy pretty regularly and after he shot production for ever he showed up with one of these. I'm jelly of all that bling. My eagle might shoot great but its not nearly as pretty. Maybe ill sell the old girl and pick up one of these fancy dvcs when I finally break out of D class lol

On reloads for 40 I load out to 1.175. I tried to stretch to 1.19 but it was borderline causing problems. I've tried 1.185 and 1.18 but for my eagle 1.175 seams to be the sweet spot.

Edited by Warkitz

I got one of my presses swapped back for .40 late last night. I'll report back after I get a chance to shoot some of the longer ammo... It will be likely be next week. My band has a gig this weekend... so I'll be making a bunch of noise with some other boyz and toys! :D

Stormy here today but I did run out and put about 100 rounds down range with the new load and the 12 pound recoil spring. Gun seemed MUCH happier with the 1.180. 100 rounds with no issues. Was just shooting a plate rack. Too windy to shoot any groups so I don't know how accuracy is with the new load but the gun seemed to cycle smoother and quicker. The load seemed to be a good match for the 12 lb. spring. Ran well enough that I'll take it to the next match! :D

Edited by Chutist

Got a chance to go out to the range yesterday and test mine out for the first time, Bought a box of 165g Winchester White box and headed out.

Strange it came sighted in, pretty much dead nuts. Groups were not spectacular its WWB but I was expecting that.. I could still rock a 8" plate @ 25 every shot.

Gun had no malfunctions or any kind, I only loaded magazines to 10-12 and it still kicked less that my single stack 1911 in .45 with loads just making major PF.

Felt amazing in my hands, Still using the stock springs "new ones arrived when I got home from the range" I will probably break it in more with the stock springs.

My finger tells me the trigger is right at 3lbs, but its crisp and no creep, Going to fix that just a tad. Seems like it's a shooter! Love the gun already.

Going to make up a load using bayouu 180g over w231 or hp38 with a slightly longer oal just for keeps sake.

Aftec extractor and mine just runs and runs

I thought about getting an Aftec for mine after seeing the stoppage in the pictures above.

When I pulled the extractor, I saw that all the correct angles had been cut and it was "okay" but not polished slick. So I got out the jeweler's rouge and polished it up. While I was at it, I did the equivalent of the "Glock .25 cent trigger job" -

Polished the tip of the disconnector

Polished the ramp on the disconnector that the spring rides on

polished the bottom of the firing pin stop where it rides over the hammer

Polished the tip of the sear spring where it rides on the disconnector

Polished the face of sear spring where it rides on the sear

Polished the trigger bow where it presses on the disconnetor and rides in the frame

My first thought when I do this sort of stuff is just like a Doctor "Do no harm" ->I did NOT remove any metal or touch the hammer, sear or frame rails. The places I polished are the same places you'd see wearing to a "polish" on a well broken-in gun. I just helped it along. ;)

None of this looked "bad" to start but I hopeful that the combined effect will help the gun be more reliable overall. :D

Aftec extractor and mine just runs and runs

I thought about getting an Aftec for mine after seeing the stoppage in the pictures above.

When I pulled the extractor, I saw that all the correct angles had been cut and it was "okay" but not polished slick. So I got out the jeweler's rouge and polished it up. While I was at it, I did the equivalent of the "Glock .25 cent trigger job" -

Polished the tip of the disconnector

Polished the ramp on the disconnector that the spring rides on

polished the bottom of the firing pin stop where it rides over the hammer

Polished the tip of the sear spring where it rides on the disconnector

Polished the face of sear spring where it rides on the sear

Polished the trigger bow where it presses on the disconnetor and rides in the frame

My first thought when I do this sort of stuff is just like a Doctor "Do no harm" ->I did NOT remove any metal or touch the hammer, sear or frame rails. The places I polished are the same places you'd see wearing to a "polish" on a well broken-in gun. I just helped it along. ;)

None of this looked "bad" to start but I hopeful that the combined effect will help the gun be more reliable overall. :D

This is pretty much how I start a trigger job on any gun I own.

I shot the first match with my STI DVC at Sage Pistol League yesterday. :goof:

Gun ran flawless with the 180 gn HP X-Treme's loaded to 1.180 OAL,Titegroup propellent and loaded into MBX Mags. I'd swapped the recoil spring to a Wolf 12 LB Variable. Match was about 150 rounds with quite a bit of RUN and GUN. I was pretty happy the gun ran 100%. It was my best finish in a long time - 1ST Limited and 5 OA.

Fiber Front with the solid black back sight is really nice to track. Part way through the match I started doing what I perceive as "flying" the Gun. :ph34r: It sort of a Zen thing for me were I finally relax and just get the gun to where I see what I need to see, trip the trigger and RUN!!! The cuts on the grip really work, my grip was nice and high on the gun and the texture gave me enough grip without hurting or hindering if I wanted to adjust my grip. :)

One stage had an empty gun start and the big magwell is SWEET, reloads felt great all day! One stage had a gun on table start, the magwell and Safety propped the gun up enough that it's really easy to get off the table! :D

I had a brain fart and FTE'd a popper on the first stage or I'd have been higher OA. :blush:

The DVC is a keeper! :D

Edited by Chutist

Gun ran flawless with the 180 gn HP X-Treme's loaded to 1.180 OAL,Titegroup propellent and loaded into MBX Mags. I'd swapped the recoil spring to a Wolf 12 LB Variable. Match was about 150 rounds with quite a bit of RUN and GUN. I was pretty happy the gun ran 100%. It was my best finish in a long time - 1ST Limited and 5 OA.

Fiber Front with the solid black back sight is really nice to track. Part way through the match I started doing what I perceive as "flying" the Gun. :ph34r: It sort of a Zen thing for me were I finally relax and just get the gun to where I see what I need to see, trip the trigger and RUN!!! The cuts on the grip really work, my grip was nice and high on the gun and the texture gave me enough grip without hurting or hindering if I wanted to adjust my grip. :)

One stage had an empty gun start and the big magwell is SWEET, reloads felt great all day! One stage had a gun on table start, the magwell and Safety propped the gun up enough that it's really easy to get off the table! :D

I had a brain fart and FTE'd a popper on the first stage or I'd have been higher OA. :blush:

Can I inquire as to what the 12# spring does? New to 2011's; only thing I switched out was the mag release to the Dawson's posi-lock release.

Can I inquire as to what the 12# spring does? New to 2011's; only thing I switched out was the mag release to the Dawson's posi-lock release.

Not a gunsmith but I'll try...

Short answer - It changes the speed of the slide going forward so the front site doesn't dip for me.

Long answer - The stock spring is reported to be a 14 pound spring. The gun really is a "system" and changing the recoil spring changes the timing of the system overall. Too much recoil spring and the slide may not travel far enough back or dwell long enough for the magazine to get the new round up to be fed...it may also close the slide hard enough to have the front sight to dip. Too little spring and the slide may slam back and cause the front sight to lift more....hard on the gun and harder to follow the sight. It also may not provide enough energy to reliably strip and feed the next round.

Those are the extremes... You can "tune" the gun and the feel of the gun to the shooter and load...going up or down a couple of pounds with the recoil springs to make the gun work for best for you.

When I dropped in the 12 pound spring, with my load, the gun felt really smooth when it cycled and the sights settled right back on target for me :D

Hope it helps :D

Edited by Chutist