Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LPA Sights

Distant Thunder

Anyone have experience with the LPA adjustable rear sight for S&W revolvers? Do they work well with the factory front sight heights or do they need a shorter/taller unit to make better use of their range of adjustment? I've got the 929, 686 and 627 to play with and liked the fully serrated rear blade of the LPA.

I have a 686 Competitor with LPA rear (factory) and it is the best sight picture I have seen. I wish I had one on every gun. I think they work with the factory front, but don't know, as mine came with it already on. Maybe LPA could answer that question.

I probably should have been more specific as to barrel length on these guns too, in case it might matter. The 686 is a 4", the 929 Performance Center is 6.5" and I have both the 4" Pro Series and 5" Performance Center 38/357 models. Oops, almost forgot the 986 5" Pro Series.

The only problem I've run into is LPA sights on a 617 4" barrel.

From a customer we all know: "All my 617's have stock sights that are 0.170" tall. When the LPA sight was on my "6 617, it was able to sight in with the adjustment all the way down. But when I installed it on 4" 617, it wouldn't go down far enough, since I wanted to use it on my favorite 4", I needed to mill it out."

He milled out the LPA sight where the rear gets lowered into. He's happy. Excuse to buy a mini mill???

No other reports of problems.

From a customer we all know: "All my 617's have stock sights that are 0.170" tall. When the LPA sight was on my "6 617, it was able to sight in with the adjustment all the way down. But when I installed it on 4" 617, it wouldn't go down far enough, since I wanted to use it on my favorite 4", I needed to mill it out."

He milled out the LPA sight where the rear gets lowered into. He's happy. Excuse to buy a mini mill???

Since you mentioned it, I'll post a picture of what I did.

I know I could have installed a taller front sight but I don't like tall front sights.

I milled out about .025" so I could lower the sight more.

lpa_milled_zpsgb0l8klf.jpg

Since you mentioned it, I'll post a picture of what I did.

I know I could have installed a taller front sight but I don't like tall front sights.

I milled out about .025" so I could lower the sight more.

lpa_milled_zpsgb0l8klf.jpg

Uhmmm ... You wouldn't be related to the guy who builds furniture on PBS by any chance, would you? Just sayin' ...

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I wanted to share what's been going on and not throw Dave under the bus.

GM, I think that could have been a compliment. That guy on PBS really knows how to improvise. If it wasn't for that ability, the 10 shot S&W 617 may still be absent from Steel Challenge matches.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I wanted to share what's been going on and not throw Dave under the bus.

GM, I think that could have been a compliment. That guy on PBS really knows how to improvise. If it wasn't for that ability, the 10 shot S&W 617 may still be absent from Steel Challenge matches.

Bingo!

these are made in the Czech republic, and I think much better than LPA. he also makes the CZ SP01 adjustable front sights for CZ

http://www.zendl.cz/index.php/produscts/miridla/69-hledisaw

a lot cheaper than the LPA, but I don't know if he ships them to the US (they speak Englisch)

needs only a tiny bit of material removed from the front of the sight, it just touches the frame...

gr T