Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 3gun advice?

Maize

I'm planning on shooting Heavy Metal this spring. I was wondering if a DPMS Oracle 16 with a new hand guard,

trigger, and nice scope being the only modifications is an OK starting platform?

Thanks Maize

I'm planning on shooting Heavy Metal this spring. I was wondering if a DPMS Oracle 16 with a new hand guard,

trigger, and nice scope being the only modifications is an OK starting platform?

Thanks Maize

You just got one of the big time HM guys in your camp! Good luck. I may make the move to HM myself in 2016. But if my matches in NC here move to single stack 45 then that's a pain for me. I have a polymer frame 45 and am not interested in a single stack for now. I've spent enough on guns already! :-)

Back to the Oracle. My rifle started life as a Mass compliant Oracle. I don't like short gas systems, so, replaced the barrel and handguard before a shot was fired from it. It now sports a 20 inch Rainer Arms Select barrel, JP handguard and a comp I make myself. The trigger is a CMC. Well, the stock is now a Luth adjustable.

It's an evolving project, but the Oracle as a starting point will get you putting ammo down range.

I had a nice visit with Mike and he helped direct me in the direction I want to go. Going to go with the Oracle because my gunsmith has one for sell and he has been working for free for me the last 6 years. We believe the 16 will be just right for my size. Will be adding a lightened carrier and adjustable gas. Hopefully the factory barrel will perform good enough for He-Man. If not more changes.

Positively going to be shooting in irons probably with a Vortex 2 moa dot .

I had a nice visit with Mike and he helped direct me in the direction I want to go. Going to go with the Oracle because my gunsmith has one for sell and he has been working for free for me the last 6 years. We believe the 16 will be just right for my size. Will be adding a lightened carrier and adjustable gas. Hopefully the factory barrel will perform good enough for He-Man. If not more changes.

Positively going to be shooting in irons probably with a Vortex 2 moa dot .

?

Dan, I shot the HeMan in 2013, I was signed up for this year but had to withdraw due to my father's health. The match was full and he was real sick, so I pulled out at the first of May. I plan to shoot the 2016 HeMan though. I really enjoyed the one that I went to.

Hurley

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Oracle 308 back from my gunsmith. It's reallya much nicer rifle now . It received a new Magpul stock, Timney trigger, Midwest Ind. hand guard,,Syrac adjustable gas block and Miculek break and Vortex spitfire. Looking forward to shooting it.

Thanks for the reply's and information everyone.

post-33686-0-56726000-1449714839_thumb.j

Edited by Maize

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying the extra push of my 308. Waiting on some 155gr. from Freedom Munitions to shoot next to some surplus to see how it groups. Enjoying the 45 and pump 12ga shotgun also but my load 2 with the Winchester has been a disaster so far.

Enjoying the extra push of my 308. Waiting on some 155gr. from Freedom Munitions to shoot next to some surplus to see how it groups. Enjoying the 45 and pump 12ga shotgun also but my load 2 with the Winchester has been a disaster so far.

Yay for big bullets! The shotgun loading has been a big turn-off for me, but some other things may conspire to push me over into HM myself. I'm very glad that you are enjoying most things, so far.

Just got my Oracle 308 back from my gunsmith. It's reallya much nicer rifle now . It received a new Magpul stock, Timney trigger, Midwest Ind. hand guard,,Syrac adjustable gas block and Miculek break and Vortex spitfire. Looking forward to shooting it.

Be sure to test your new rig with all the ammo types that you'd or might use. I had issues with the Timney 308 trigger (failing to light up PPU white box 308 a few times). Switched out to Hipertouch 24C and it is now 100% reliable.

Perhaps we will see you at 2016 He Man @ Whittington Center :)

Be sure to test your new rig with all the ammo types that you'd or might use. I had issues with the Timney 308 trigger (failing to light up PPU white box 308 a few times). Switched out to Hipertouch 24C and it is now 100% reliable.

Very true on the Timney. It wouldn't light off a single round of Hornady Steel Match for me. Their ".308" model only had a heavier return spring, not hammer spring. CMC now resides in my .308.

Yay for big bullets! The shotgun loading has been a big turn-off for me, but some other things may conspire to push me over into HM myself. I'm very glad that you are enjoying most things, so far.

Michael My Winchester is starting to reload like my Beretta we removed more metal but the lighter Nordic spring with the extension made the biggest difference

Pacman

Thanks for the tip. We planed on a CNC trigger but Brownells was out of them and we were triyng to get all my parts in one order. Looking forward to He Man.

I think we met last year at the all rifle ladder stage

Edited by Maize