Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lack of consideration on Facebook.

EkuJustice

Well there is a time and place it everything Facebook included Facebook is a great way to notify people of stuff as you can reach a lot of people easily and quickly which isn't always a good thing or appropriate. Well last night my grandmother passed away when my aunt who was a nurse was over there. Any person with half a brain would say notify the others in the family via a phone call an let them know. Once that had been done then let others know. Nope not her she used Facebook status updates and messenger to notify people. My father is torn up because he found out his mother passed away not from a nice phone call from his sister but in his Facebook alerts and read it on her Facebook wall. I found out the same way before my father called us to let us know and was barely able to e understood he was that upset. His other sister found out in a similar way. There is a reason even the police don't release names of people to the media until the family had been notified as finding out like that makes it even harder. It's amazing the lack of class people have sometimes and how much they use Facebook for everything

I refuse to even CONSIDER participating in Facebook and the like. It's frankly too risky and, in some instances, too stupid.

Meanwhile, I'm very sorry for your loss and the experience of it in this thoughtless way. It should've been a quiet and personal thing.

We had the same experience recently - a lot of unhappy grandchildren in my extended family found out their grandfather passed on Facebook, and even worse, the passing had been kept 'secret' for almost a month while the modest estate was being handled.

Ugly all ways around....

• 2 weeks later...

My condolences on your loss as well. I lost my mother just last month and I understand the feelings.

I don't do facebook - in large part for professional reasons - but I can't imagine letting people know about such a loss that way.