Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Ammo

MaverickUF

How did you manage to reload the wolf cases?

With my Dillon Square Deal. It does require a bit more force to resize the casing (case lube helps immensely) and seat the primer. On the other hand, the casing comes out of the sizing die more easily than with brass because it doesn't have brass' tendency to want to "grab" the die.

• 4 weeks later...
I've yet to purchase a reloader, and am still searching for cheap bulk .45 ACP ammo for my Ruger P90. Cabelas has the cheapest Wolf ammo I've found (yet to find any substantially better deals on cheaperthandirt, etc.). Wal-Mart gets me for about $20/100 for Winchester... How does this Wolf stuff shoot?? Anygood??

Wolf well to put it in a word sucks. Won't cycle amost AR's Explained to me Russian stuff not exactly same cal as US. I've never had any luck with it. If you value your 45 don't throw cheap stuff through it. Wolf is a bitch to clean up as well. $20.00 for 100 is a good price. Stick with American SAMI makes sure .45 is .45 Ivan makes sure Wolf is .45 Ivan is an under-employed former soviet soldier who drinks too much "wodka" seriously I have seen 1 catastrophic failure in an AR-15 with Wolf. 1/2 ammo fault 1/2 shooter's fault He was the only guy on the line who didn't think the report sounded odd and second shot hit the round that jammed in the first time and he had a $1400.00 Bushmaster paper weight. :blink:

I think you may be confusing the .45 ACP with the .233 Remington.  ;)

Not confusing 45 with 223 just making a general statement about Wolf products. If that is or was soviet GI no wonder they are gone. Wolf has a hard time even chambering in most 223's forward assist is a must with almost every round. The 45 cal they make are not any better that's why they are cheap. Cheap ammo=failure if you are using for any sort of defense (home, security or LE) do yourself a favor Cor-Bon +P if the weapon can't handle the +P just Cor-Bon if you just want to blow of 300 rounds on a Saturday try some Blazers, cheap & good. :)

I don't like it, as it doesn't work 100% in my .45 or .40 1911s, when everthing else does. Also, if you ever attend a GSSF match and you use Wolf ammo (at least this use to be the case 2 years ago), and your gun malfunctioned, you don't get a do-over, as you do if you use other commercial ammo - meaning, Glock doesn't warrant that their guns will work with it.

On the other hand, other people swear by Wolf pistol ammo, and never had a problem with it. Their shotgun ammo isn't bad, I've used a case of it for Sporting Clays in my Browning 325.

I guess it boils down to this: does it work in your gun 100% of time time? If it does, then use it. If it doesn't, then find something else.

-David

In my opinion, wolf centerfire ammunition is junk, I personally wouldnt use it in any of my firearms. Some folks like it and have had great luck using it, more power to those individuals, but I will stay clear of using it.

On another note, there 22 rimfire I think is some of the best in the world.

In my opinion, wolf centerfire ammunition is junk, I personally wouldnt use it in any of my firearms. Some folks like it and have had great luck using it, more power to those individuals, but I will stay clear of using it.

On another note, there 22 rimfire I think is some of the best in the world.

From a rifle rimfire silhouette competitor I sure as hell wouldn't shoot their rimfire stuff. Tenex, Fed Gold match (before the sale), Eley, RWS but never Wolf.

I shoot an Anschutz to compete with and my wife shoots a Sako. Wolf won't hold a group at the 100 meters that we shoot rams.

Back to handguns and Wolf. By the way, I shoot Blazers and don't feel like they are "cheap" ammo. I like the performance that I get out of them. Bluntly I am considering reloading some 9mm ammo up, VV N310 behind a 147 Zero for reduced muzzle flip. But the Blazers will still hit the A zone at 50 yards if I do my part.

Rick

Wolf ammo the oxide coated 45acp is just fine, it is a little hot. Runs through all my guns just fine. The old wolf ain't so hot. No dirty than PMC. Aquilla I find is dirtiest. I wouldn't reload it as steel casing will crack much sooner than Brass will fatique.

Plus you can pick up your casing with a magnet!!!!

The 45 cal they make are not any better that's why they are cheap.

In high-pressure rifle rounds, Wolf has a well-known reputation for failures to extract. I've seen failures to extract with the 9mm Para stuff, but invariably when that happens, as far as I've seen, it's always been in a Kahr or Hi-Power, both guns with extremely tight chambers. OTOH, I've never had, nor seen, a single malfunction with Wolf 9x18mm Makarov or .45 ACP. I was the 2002 Washington State IDPA Champion in Custom Defensive Pistol (IDPA's .45 auto division) shooting handloads in Wolf casings - so obviously it didn't handicap me TOO much!

I wouldn't reload it as steel casing will crack much sooner than Brass will fatique.

I only reload Wolf one time. The entire purpose, as far as I'm concerned, is to be able to shoot a match without worrying about scrounging brass. Shoot it, leave it on the ground, forget about it.

The 45 cal they make are not any better that's why they are cheap.

In high-pressure rifle rounds, Wolf has a well-known reputation for failures to extract. I've seen failures to extract with the 9mm Para stuff, but invariably when that happens, as far as I've seen, it's always been in a Kahr or Hi-Power, both guns with extremely tight chambers. OTOH, I've never had, nor seen, a single malfunction with Wolf 9x18mm Makarov or .45 ACP. I was the 2002 Washington State IDPA Champion in Custom Defensive Pistol (IDPA's .45 auto division) shooting handloads in Wolf casings - so obviously it didn't handicap me TOO much!

I'm currently on my fourth or fifth case of Wolf .223. I've fired all this in a number of different rifles, to include select fire M4's and it has never given me extraction problems.

I have been using the new polymer stuff. Maybe the older lacquer stuff would stick in the chamber or maybe it's just Internet legend.

I think you may be confusing the .45 ACP with the .233 Remington.  ;)

Look as LE I wouldn't bet mt ass on Wolf!!!! Worst feeling in the world is to hear nothing but a click after the hammer drops. Wanna talk pucker factor it will make your ass crawl out your mouth. We tried it in our AR's every other round failed to feed and the ones that would feed wouldn't extract. Who needs it?

I took a 1000 rds (untested by me) to the handgunner nationals in montross, colo. in the 2000, I ended up going to ace hardware, walmart, k-mart anywhere to get 45 acp. and this is in my springfield which has eaten anything i've put in in, yes I bought it because it was CHEAP, with the exp. of the trip and all, but turned out to be a bad idea :( , but i've always been told it works well in some guns, but not mine.

What sort of gun, just out of curiosity?

springfield single stack 45 acp, i've had everything from blazer to rem. to my reloads, and everything else has worked just fine. even retested after my gunsmith tuned (repolish ramp, ext. ect) the 45, and it still refused to feed properly, with several different mags. just my luck :(

• 3 months later...