Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Trojan

BARRYJ

Bought a new Trojan in 40 S&W and six 10 round Tripp mags. When empty, the mags seat and release fine. When loaded with 5 or 6 rounds, the mag drops away freely. When loaded with 10 rounds, it's almost like the mouth of the mag stretches and it doesn't drop out freely. Is there something I can do to remedy this problem?

I would take the slide off and do some fitting. Shine a small light up and down the magwell and you should be able to see what's binding.

The mag shell should certainly not distort when loaded.

EDIT TO ADD: the paranoia over "ten round maximum" has made some mag companies make them so that you have to hammer the tenth round in and it may be that kind of problem.

Edited by bountyhunter

Bought a new Trojan in 40 S&W and six 10 round Tripp mags. When empty, the mags seat and release fine. When loaded with 5 or 6 rounds, the mag drops away freely. When loaded with 10 rounds, it's almost like the mouth of the mag stretches and it doesn't drop out freely. Is there something I can do to remedy this problem?

Are you sure that it is the mouth of the mags swelling?

I had an issue with my trojan that the bullet below the one in the chamber, was getting pushed forward a bit by the disco rail and was hanging up on the feed ramp area. Also check the slide stop and that your bullets aren't rubbing up against it and will pass by it okay. I had to shave mine back a bit so they wouldn't touch it at all and believe that was part of my problem as well.

Edited by Prov1x

You say that 5 or 6 rounds they drop free, when does the problem start? Try loading one round more at a time and see when the hang up. If it is at 9 or 10 rounds there are a couple things you can check. Leave the mags loaded to 10 rounds for a week or so and see if the springs take a little bit of a set. Also the trigger bow could be a little bit tight. If you have a micrometer or calipers measure the mag width when they drop free and when they start to hang up. Measure starting at about the middle of the mag and go all the way to the feed lips. If the mag is swelling with additional rounds you can sqeeze in the sides of the mag with a vise. Also check the mag catch as it could be slightly out of tolerance too. Insert and remove the mag when it is hanging up and see if there is a scratch at the hole on the mag where the catch goes it. Some of this may help.

Dry firing with dummy rounds this happens occasionally to me. I am loading to 8 in Tripps. The round slides forward and hangs on the feed ramp. When I load to ten and chamber a round and pull the mag the top round is shifted forward. Have you checked the round traveling forward and hanging on the feed ramp?

I did notice a round moving forward and hanging on the feed ramp. The mag hangs up with ten rounds but drops free with nine. Don't think it will be a problem. Shouldn't be trying to dump a full mag in competition. I'm gonna check the width of the mags full and empty.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there are two (2) types of 10 round mags. One is for .40 cal. for short / factory length ammo and the other one is for 10mm for long Over All Length loads (intended for STI Guns). If you got the correct one, then call Trip Research and they will tune it for you (either way if you got the wrong size then they will exchange it for the right mags).