Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which thread locker/retaining compound?

bigboy69

Most match barrels are made of stainless steel so I guess you need to use Loctite primers no matter what your comp is made of.

You really should. Guys talking about comps coming lose after time. Use primer and that will almost eliminate that issue. Also no need your that ugly set screw that some people use

Just the RED but make sure it has not been opened if its the very little tube or check the date on the larger. They do expire when opened..

Dang, you made me go look. I have two unopened bottles of primer that expired late last year. All my other containers of Loctite have been opened and are expired.

How quickly and badly does it degrade?

Most match barrels are made of stainless steel so I guess you need to use Loctite primers no matter what your comp is made of.

You really should. Guys talking about comps coming lose after time. Use primer and that will almost eliminate that issue. Also no need your that ugly set screw that some people use

Using Loctite 603 and Primer 7471, I've never had a comp come loose. To take it off, I heat it up in the oven to 500 deg and it spins off easily.

Do they all setup in like a millisecond???

I have to line up popple holes and last time I did it I had to take it off again and redo it so it lined up properly

And to go back to my original post, it was 648.

Loctite 603 with primer gives you a little time to line things up but don't dawdle.

Loctite with the primer/activator may set up faster,

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I've read the permanent red isn't a good idea because you will sometime down the road be thoroughly cleaning your pistol. To remove the red you need an expensive agent from loc-tite, a lot of time, and a prayer. I've never done it myself but it is something to think about.

I've read the permanent red isn't a good idea because you will sometime down the road be thoroughly cleaning your pistol. To remove the red you need an expensive agent from loc-tite, a lot of time, and a prayer. I've never done it myself but it is something to think about.

I was able to remove red w/ Acetone and a brass brush. A little heat helps too.