Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting On The Move...

lneel

I found a new? trick that helped my shooting on the move I though I would share. I took my sons' Walther P99 lookalike CO2 gun and Velcro'd a laser to it. I then stapled a paper plate to the fence in the back yard. Aiming at the paper plate while moving around the backyard made me smooth out my movement skills. Give it a try and I beat you see you can figure out how to be more smooth. Epecially if your backyard is as uneven as mine!

I found a new? trick that helped my shooting on the move I though I would share. I took my sons' Walther P99 lookalike CO2 gun and Velcro'd a laser to it. I then stapled a paper plate to the fence in the back yard. Aiming at the paper plate while moving around the backyard made me smooth out my movement skills. Give it a try and I beat you see you can figure out how to be more smooth. Epecially if your backyard is as uneven as mine!

The Burner has that one in his series of tapes, but lasers are expensive.

A half filled water bottle works for me (thanks, Matt).

No, you didn't sound like a jerk. But your concern for your own post made me take a look at mine.

Just to clarify, I write LASER in all caps since I found out it was an acronym, and I try to write acronyms in caps, like IPSC instead of ipsc.

I hope I didn't sound like a jerk. :o

• 4 weeks later...

The Burner has that one in his series of tapes, but lasers are expensive.

A half filled water bottle works for me (thanks, Matt).

Just curious, how does this work with a half filled bottle of water? Can you explain the drill?

Just curious, how does this work with a half filled bottle of water?  Can you explain the drill?

Take the label off of the bottle, so you can see all the way through it. Fill the bottle up half way or so. Hold it in your hands like your shooting grip (I find a narrow necked bottle held upside down works for me). Move without massively upsetting the water - the smoother it stays, the better. It'll slosh a little, there's no avoiding that. But you don't want to see it churning....

FWIW - if you were ever in marching band, and you know how to glide step, you already know what it takes to shoot on the move.... ;) If you weren't, but know someone who was, get them to show you....

My pleasure - the direct corelation is that your sights (and therefore point of aim) are going to shift just like the water :) You can practice this way in your front yard, though, whereas with the gun..... ;)

It doesn't help you turn while walking, but dryfiring with my actual blasters from a treadmill in my house is working pretty well for me.

I don't find trying to time my shooting for when my feet are down works, I just shoot when the sights tell me to, and glidestep is the ticket, fer sure!

--

Regards,

I saw the all caps and quotes as Dr. Frickin' Eveil explaining a LASER-beam.... :P

Me too ... duct tape it to the water bottle and you can call it a "Death Star."

It's hard to make the shark go along with the drill, though. :o:P

Instead of a half-full bottle of water, I learned to walk smoothly holding a bottle of Dr. Pepper filled to the brim with the top cut off. It was sticky at first, but got better as I got smoother. Four years later, my legs and the rest of my body have figured it out, but my head still doesn't know how it's done.

Shooting when my feet hit the ground didn't work for me either. When the sights are where they need to be, squeeze the trigger. Simple enough.

L

Shooting when my feet hit the ground didn't work for me either. When the sights are where they need to be, squeeze the trigger. Simple enough.

L

Never worked for me too.

When the foot hits the ground, you're bouncing, and the sights are not steady.

I too shoot as I see my sights in alignment, but I found out that this almost invariably happens when my advanced foot is about to hit the ground.

Hope this helps.

Once you let your sights dictate your shooting on the move, you no longer know whether one foot was on the ground, in the air, whatever.

And this is the point, in the end.... The footwork and other practice w/ water bottle, etc, just help you minimize the bounce in your sights. BTW - foot up/down doesn't matter anyhow w/ the proper footwork - there won't *be* any bounce :)

If you encounter the dreaded "suspended bridge" on a stage, you'll really get to understand if your sight focus is dialed up or not. If you can cross the bridge while shooting, and still get good hits, you're probably there... Those are fun.... :)

Oh, BTW - Mr. Parsons was involved in the design of all this shoot on the move stuff. Alan would be upset if we didn't call this process the "Alan Parsons Project"..... :lol: