Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Seating Depth

I've loaded approximately 20k rounds on my 650 since getting it earlier in the year. I was previously able to lightly crush seat federal primers by leaning into the handle after seating. This would yield a primer seat depth between .005"-.012" depending on the primer pocket depth on mixed brass.

Recently, I've been having issues with primers not getting seated properly. No matter how hard I lean into the handle, the primer won't crush seat and some are even high. It seams like the primer seating "punch" just isn't traveling as high based on the appearance of the seated primer.

I've tried cleaning the shell plate and tightening it down as much as possible to where it will still cycle but nothing changed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

First, verify that the primer seating punch has not backed out of the underside of the platform. Use a 9/16" open-end wrench. If it is tight, then remove the primer seatng assembly, disassemble it and clean it. Otherwise, I would examine the cases that don't prime properly to see if they have crimped primer pockets. Additionally, some foreign brands of ammo have tighter primer pockets than domestic brands.

First, verify that the primer seating punch has not backed out of the underside of the platform. Use a 9/16" open-end wrench. If it is tight, then remove the primer seatng assembly, disassemble it and clean it. Otherwise, I would examine the cases that don't prime properly to see if they have crimped primer pockets. Additionally, some foreign brands of ammo have tighter primer pockets than domestic brands.

Thanks for the quick response. Brass is definitely not crimped as I sort all 9mm brass. I'll try what you outlined.

+1 on keeping the primer punch TIGHT!!!......was driving me crazy...checked everything...called Dillon....problem solved...periodically check the nut and clean your primer assembly regularly.....interesting how dirty it gets.......

I would NOT put blue locktite on the primer punch...having to apply heat to that area to remove the primer punch would not be good...

Just snug it up and go, check occasionally.

jmho

jj

Blue will break free without heat. Acetone works well. Red requires heat from my experience

Regardless of how it breaks free, I would not use loctite on the primer punch. Its simply not needed there. The threaded portion of the punch is steel and it's screwed into aluminum, no need for loctite. All it will take is some homer dumping a gob on the part and it will never come loose.

Again, jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ