Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locked elbows?

rocket99

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely try it with finger wrapped around vs. off the trigger guard, and compare. I started wrapping my finger around the trigger guard a few months ago and my control immediately improved. Also, it just felt "right". The "trick" is getting to that grip quickly off the draw; its definitely easier to draw to the unwrapped grip.

Locking your joints make it pretty difficult to manage recoil effectly since the energy is more directly transmitted through your skeleton instead of the muscles you are tensing. So in actuality, locking your arms is limiting your ability to get the gun back on target at the earliest moment. Straight but not locked is the best place I've found to be.

I doubt you'd land from a jump with locked legs. Not the same thing obviously, but close enough to be relevant.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Ultimately, your foundation for applying force is always best when you are applying that force from the ground. I try and set my grip/stance up to transmit as much energy into the ground as I can, so in this case I want to be slightly unlocked and tense from my hands through my arms, through my trunk, into the ground. There is a lean forward/down to whatever degree is necessary to prevent the recoil from moving your upper body. If recoil is moving your shoulders, that is energy being directed in a sub optimal way and is also adding an additional variable that can impact how the gun tracks throughout recoil.

If you aren't interested in trying a different way, that's totally cool. I personally think the gains would be worth the effort.

i wouldn't freak out about locking elbows or not. when I was a noob, I used to lock my elbows, and stoeger suggested it might be worth trying putting a slight bend in them. it felt awkward and uncontrolled for me, but a couple years later I find I have naturally gravitated to having a slight bend. I never really tried to, it just happened as I got better and worked on grip and trigger control and various things.

Edited by motosapiens

Motosapiens; has your double-tap changed?

Yes. along with improving in many other ways, I figured out that 'double-tap' (i.e. 2 trigger pulls with one sight picture) is a good way to get poor hits. Now I look at the sights for both shots. They are just as fast (faster,actually, since my skills have improved), and considerably more accurate and consistent.

Thanks.

Just ordered two Ben Stoeger books..

that's a good start. I strongly advise you to learn from others' mistakes and not get sucked into chasing par times for dryfire drills at the expense of visual information. If you really make sure you are looking at your sights for both trigger pulls, and seeing where the sights are on the target, such that you can say just from the visual information "i got at least 2 C's and one that might have been D on that el prez" , you will learn faster and make better use of your time. It is really really easy to get sucked into the trap of seeing the sights where you want it and pulling your eyes off as you yank the trigger twice, and then you have no idea where those shots really went.

I've been shooting about 3-4 years and just starting figuring this stuff out this year.

Cool.

I know that when I acquire two distinct sight pictures, mine is more of a controlled pair, and very slow, especially with .45 ACP. After thousands of rounds through an M9 over about a 6-week period, I noticed a slight, but perceptible increase in speed.

I've just lived with it...

Now, what about strong- or weak-hand only? Locked...?

Edited by greyback

It is really really easy to get sucked into the trap of seeing the sights where you want it and pulling your eyes off as you yank the trigger twice, and then you have no idea where those shots really went.

I've been shooting about 3-4 years and just starting figuring this stuff out this year.

Isn't that the truth!

I was at the range this morning and someone next to me was shooting into the grass ten feet in front of them when aiming at a steel plate 15 yds away.

I've never seen anyone pull the muzzle down that far when pressing the trigger, and then asking if they hit it!