Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How flat IS "flat" shooting

selecw

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Primers are Federal or Winchester Small Rifle , 1.250 OAL.

I've never seen that amount of sparks exiting the nose,

I've watched it a half a dozen times and it doesn't get old, lol.

It really looks pretty flat shooting. But the person running it would know exactly what is truly happening and if the dot was leaving the glass.

Edited by gunnit

I like flat but as I learn I tend to agree that flat is it quite as important as consistent.

No one is consistently making shots faster than a 10 or 12 split. Most of us on close open stuff are sub 15 but further/harder targets are 20+ splits.

The gun can cycle in what .03? Let's say even 0.06.

As long as the dot comes back to where it was when you broke the prior shot in less than say 0.09 you have plenty time to reel of those fast second shots.

Having said all that I do prefe a flatter but harder recoiling gun over a softer recoiling gun with more flip.

The little v12s with a good load are pretty flat and point nicely. They just constantly are trying to destroy themselves!

I'm still debating going from 1/8th in to 3/16th in holes in my trubore based gun. I have a gaspedal but with my weak hand being so damaged the gun really has to do most of the work.

(If this is a double tap I'm sorry. I thought I posted it here but now I don't see it)

The beginning of flat Larry? Are you saying you shoot an Open gun where the dot doesn't leave the glass? If so I'd love to see pictures/videos.

Atlas, I have owned 5 Open Guns built on the STI 2011 platform. With 4 of them I was able to get to the point where the dot did not leave the glass. As for the 5th gun.... well, that one hasn't been fired yet. Just got it this week and I am more than confident I will be able to achieve the same with this one.

I have another story about a guy shooting 90 or 100gn pills at 2000fps in a 9x25.

He shot a stage and a popper was still standing. Asked for cal and it went down with the 120pf cal ammo. Went to pick it up and found he'd drilled a hole straight through it without making it fall!

I didn't see this with my own eyes so it may be a tall story but I can believe it particularly if it's a forward faking popper set heavy.

And another one also from shred2dotnet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiE3NzMjg0

Those are some cool videos, they really highlight how the dot leaves the glass. At full speed it looks like the dot just goes up and to the left and quickly returns, without really seeing it leave the glass. But slowed down you can clearly see it leave the glass and return.

Pretty flat from both. The super slow mo at about 40 seconds I could believe the dot staying in the glass.

Don't forget they are shooting steel loads.

Yes they are. From what I've seen the majority here think major loads shoot flatter than minor anyway though.

That's pretty hard to believe. Around 140 to 150 pf my pistol certainly feels more controllable and "flatter" than at 169 pf using 115s.

Steel loads are going to be much lighter and easier to control even though your comp is not working as hard. I do know people that run full pf loads in steel at local matches, but I'd be really surprised if they were doing that at that high of a level. They'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage.

That's actually the Bedell gun.

13.6 gr. Lil-gun with 124 gr. bullet. Pf was 170.

I'm not shooting that load now; it burns too hot. N105 shoots about as flat without all the firery drama. Dot still leaves the glass though.

What's cool about Shred's video is that you can also see the dot displace at the moment of ignition from the flex in the scope mount. You can't see this happen at full speed, yet it clearly does.

Edited by R.Elliott

Funny I was saying the same in an email.

The interesting part to me too was how the dot basically explodes as the shock wave travels through the scope body. It's inherent in a design when the dot is projected onto the glass. The dot diode and glass are joined by a piece of plastic so they can move independently a bit.

It made me wonder if the alluminium body cmores deal with that better? I imagine they do.