Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

Flyin40

I just loaded up some 135 with 7.3 of Universal Clays. 1.125 OAL runnin about 1375fps. I'll need to bring it down some. It was Rainer bullets. Seem to be very accurate. I think I seen someone post not to put the Rainers over 1250fps because of the plating coming off at that speed. I'll have to bring it down some.

Flyin40

I have some buddies that shoot Open, and run 135's over 3n37 or Blue Dot. I like the way those loads feel. I know they are using both Rainiers and Noslers. I'll get some more specifics for you.

Ray

Hi Guys,

I'm shooting a .40cal Glock 22 Open gun, here is what I use:

1- Vihtavuori N-350 8.5grs.

2- Federal small pistol primers #100

3- Rainier HP 135gr. bullet

4- KKM barrel with 4 pop holes

5- EMI Brian Hawley, 4 top 2 side port comp

6- Obsidian Connection 1 1\4lb trigger by Wil Spruell

7- Docter red dot

8- PF 170

9- Bullet OAL 1.125"

10- NHO plus one followers by Tom Novak ( adds one bullet to mag )

My gun is working well so far, if you would like to view my gun go to http://www.experimentalmachining.com/glock.html .

Good luck,

Mell

• 2 months later...

I've left this info at other places in the forums, but here it is again:

Para frame, lightened Caspian slide, EGW/Bedell style three chamber, four side-port comp, two barrel ports.

7.3gr WSF, 7.4 WAP

Federal 100 primer

155 Hornady XTP

1.192 OAL...using 10mm mags

181.2 PF, 1169 fps

This is my old load that I used when PF floor was 175, still working up the load for 165. Thanks for the data on 135's trying to find a load for that weight bullet that will not blow up in an unramped barrel.

I've left this info at other places in the forums, but here it is again:

Para frame, lightened Caspian slide, EGW/Bedell style three chamber, four side-port comp, two barrel ports.

7.3gr WSF, 7.4 WAP

Federal 100 primer

155 Hornady XTP

1.192 OAL...using 10mm mags

181.2 PF, 1169 fps

This is my old load that I used when PF floor was 175, still working up the load for 165.  Thanks for the data on 135's trying to find a load for that weight bullet that will not blow up in an unramped barrel.

gino_aki

the last load I ran was 10.4gr of hs-6 with 135gr nosler, PF 186 no problem with case as this gun like all of mine do not have integral ramped barrels.

I need to check and see if I have any additional data at the house.

Alan

I tried tite-group and the pressure curve caused cases to stick in the chamber.

For what it's worth, I think if you already have a 40cal gun then this might be an okay way to shoot Open. N350 and WAP would be my choices to start with.

I've shot my G17 open glock in about 15-20 stages so far and I think I've only used the 27-round mag once. Around here it's very common to see 28-32 round field courses [with steel] that make every hicap shooter reload once.

Sunday I think I went 10+18, 12+16, 10+16 [easy place to reload] and 13+17.

Update: I've now shot 10 consecutive stages WITH the big mag and no mag changes. 18-25 round courses. So different clubs have different stages.

Edited by eric nielsen

I started with N350 (~8.5gr) with a Ranier 135 at about 1.175" but I noticed some chunks of stuff laying around the gun. Tried 340 (about 8.1-8.2 for major) and it seems to burn completely. FWIW, Beven Grams used 340 when he was shooing .40 open. I have been thinking about trying Silhouette but have yet to get around to it.

Later,

Chuck

PS: From Rainer's website:

Q. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?

A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,350 to 1,400 Feet per second (FPS).

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot an Open G-24 and I use Rainer's 135 FP over 7.2 of Unique without a hitch. I have a KKM with 6 small popper holes and a KKM 4 port comp. Feels pretty good to me. I have about 4 lbs of N-350 I am going to experiment with after Area 5. I dont want to change anything until I shoot all my Major matches this year.

I shoot an open G-35 and really enjoy it.

KKM 4 port

Carver mounted C-more

135 gr. Berry's RS

11.0 gr. Blue Dot

1340 FPS avg.

The only thing that the 40 seems to give up is mag capacity. I was going to try the Major 9mm but that was getting spendy real fast.

IF I was was going to build another Open GLOCK I would either build an Open G-22 or a G-35. I think the 24 is just a little bit too heavy for my taste. I like a quick & light gun better.

And yes you give up some mag capacity, but its not the end of the world. I have beaten 38-supers on many stages. Does it happen all the time? No. But it's really all about YOU! Rule #1: NO MISTAKES!

Rule #2: See Rule #1 B)