Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125gr 357 & 2400

pete579

I'm gathering components to begin loading 357 for my 4" GP. I've been making reduced 38's for my wife and 38+P for myself, but sometimes you just want more power to change things up. I'm looking to make some fun shooting, full power 357's. Not too stout. Not too soft. I've heard 2400 gives a nice light show, which would be a nice change, and is always a crowd pleaser. I found a good deal last night on some Speer 125gr TMJ FN. Would 2400 for the powder with CCI 550's to get things started get me what I'm looking for? The data on Alliant's website shows 125gr Speer GDHP, 17.5gr max, 1.580 OAL, so I'm thinking to start at 16.5gr at 1.580 and work up from there. Thoughts?

The boom of 2400 gets the ole testosterone flowing. It's been a wonderful and very accurate 357 powder for many decades. Since the 357 was introduced back in the 1930's I do believe........enjoy!

Edited by parisite

I've used 2400 in 357's for 40 years now. works great some of the most accurate and good velocities I've had.

296/110 is good also but I have had a few hang fires in very cold weather with it. IF you use 296 use magnum primers for sure

Standards with 2400 will be fine

Enjoy the show

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm really looking forward to getting started with these. When I started this thread, I thought I'd be able to get started immediately, but unfortunately my work schedule just got crazy busy, so it'll now have to wait until next year. Thankfully that's only a couple months away. In the mean time I'm reading up on reloading for rifle. Next year is going to be fun!

It depends on the gun, but near max or max loads always were the most accurate for me in .357mag.

Older Speer manuals have some really hot loads for your bullet. Charges are lower now. Use caution and work it up.

• 2 months later...

Well, I should've bought the bottle of 2400 that I saw late last year before I even posted my question here because I haven't seen any since. I ended up grabbing a bottle of AA9 last Friday instead since I also couldn't find Power Pistol or 300MP, which became my 2nd and 3rd choices respectively. I tested them yesterday and 14.6 & 14.8 gave the best accuracy, so I'm going to make up 18rds each of 14.6, 14.7, & 14.8 to try and narrow it down. My gut says to just set my measure to throw 14.7 & roll with it, but I had so much fun shooting them that I'm happy to do more tests. The only "down side" was AA9 apparently has flash suppressors because the only light show from my 4" GP was from the factory loads I used to compare mine to, but with as much fun as I had with the AA9 loads (literally laughing out loud after sending 6 down range), I'm ok with that. I haven't had that much fun at the range since I rented some machine guns for my birthday a few years back.