Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching the Mets Lose

bountyhunter

I was really rooting for the Mets but they are done, done, done. No way they could ever take four games out of the last five.

Pitching and defense win championships and they don't have either going right now. First blunder (game one) is the "inside the park home run" they gave up which is a fly ball that should have been caught. Despite that, the Mets amass a 4-1 lead and can't even hold that. In the ninth their relief pitcher hangs a pitch that gets cranked about 450 feet into the seats and they blow it in extra innings.

The second game looked like the Royals were taking batting practice. Too bad.

I have not liked the Royals since the 60's when the Athletics moved from Kansas City and the city had a temper tantrum that lasted about 30 years. True story:

1) The Oakland A's back then had a great base stealer named Campy Campaneris. When Oakland played at KC, they hosed the ground next to first base and turned it into a mud hole so Campy could not try to steal bases (seriously).

2) They got in trouble with the league for that. After that, any time campy stole a base, the official scorer for the game automatically gave the catcher a throwing error so Campy would not be credited with a stolen base.

The A's back then won three world series in a row which is a feat bordering on superhuman. Kansas City has never gotten over it.

As a wise man said: to win a championship, you must have pitching and defense. And the Mets had neither. Every game they lost had the same script:

1) Take lead

2) Blow lead in late innings with lousy pitching and defensive errors.

Same story tonight on the death game.

maybe next year

bountyhunter, I really enjoyed reading your sports history lesson. It's interesting that you have hated the Royals since the 60's because the city as a whole can't get over some loss that no one remembers. It reminds me of the stories my aging grand father would tell about how much he hated Eleanor Roosevelt. The Mets lost because they played against a better team, hopefully you can get over it. :)

I've got nothing to get over, it's just sad that the Mets blew four games they should have easily won if they had a relief pitcher who could get a batter out. Would have been nice if they played major league ball instead of whatever it was they were doing. The fourth game ended on a Met's base running error I would have known better than to do 50 years ago when I was in little league ball.

I haven't hated the Royals since the 60's, I just think they acted like a collection of two year olds throwing a temper tantrum when "their" team left town... took them a long time to get over it if they ever did.

I recall they held the all-star game in KC a couple of years after the move and a number of A's were on the team. Each time they introduced an A's player they had to stop the proceeding for about 5 minutes as the mostly KC crowd held a boo-fest that wouldn't end.

Maybe if they could win three in a row like the A's did they would finally be happy.

Edit to add: a three peat for KC doesn't look likely, the KC post season history is pretty dismal. At least they have one world series win. They lost to SF last year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/

Edited by bountyhunter

I've got nothing to get over,

At least they have one world series win.

None of the current Royals players were even born when the events, that you have gotten over, occurred. The Royals have won the World Series twice (1985).

Edited by toothguy