Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners Reloading Question

Midas

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a Dillon From Brian in the near future.

I currently shoot a 147 grain 9mm.

I also really don't care for picking up brass on the range for reloading.

My question is that since I spend about 160.00 per 1000 rounds of 147gr.Is is worth it to reload new brass only since I dislike picking the used brass.

In other words is it cheaper to reload new brass only VS what I spend in ammunition cost right now.

Thanks,

:)

If you buy new brass it probably isn't worth it, especially with 9mm.

However if you buy once fired which is what I do (I hate picking up brass also) you could probably cut your cost almost in half. At least down to .10 per round.

It's been a while since I bought 147 gr. heads but I believe the price is in the mid fifties per 1000. Half a pound of WW231 (when bought 8 lbs. at a time and picked up, not shipped) is about $4.- A sleeve of primers when bought the same way as the powder, is about $15.- You're at about $75/1000 there but you need brass. Buy once fired in quantity and you should be able to get it for less that $15/k --- sometimes less than $10. You'll have to work a bit to find cheap brass --- I usually start looking for it about four months before I run out....

I don't know what you shoot --- but if I practice from a fixed position, or shoot steel or Bianchi matches, I find it easy to pick up about 85-90% of my brass. During USPSA or IDPA matches I seldom bother.....

If you only want to save money. Academy Sports has Blazer 9mm for $3.86 a box/50, that about $77/thousand. That's nearly what it costs to reload. The only time I reload 9mm is when I'm loading match ammo. For practice, I use Blazer exclusively.

Midas, I'm sorry if this complicates things for you, but reloading 9mm used brass is not always as easy as it may seem. If you are shooting a Glock with a stock barrel it may work pretty well with used brass sized on a Dillon machine with a Dillon sizing die. If you have another type of gun, though, you might be at risk of getting "Glocked" by used brass fired previously in a Glock.

The Glock chambers are very loose and this makes them reliable, but leaves a bulge at the base of the case that can be problematic in other guns. I've seen this problem specially with Berretas, Sigs and Paras, but there may be others.

The answer is to use a tighter sizing die like the ones from EGW or only reload brass not fired previously in a Glock (new or once fired).

The alternative is to shoot only factory ammo like the Walmart white box ammo which uniformly makes about 130 power factor and is only about $110 per thousand. If you shoot this at matches you could reload for practice without worrying too much about the brass as it won't mean much if it jams in practice. Additionally, once the brass has been fired once in your gun it is probably going to be reliable till it splits.

My only problem with shooting reloads for practice and WWB for matches is you need to match the reloads to the loaded ammo's performance. From playing paintball for years, you see folks wanting to shoot the cheap stuff for practice and the good stuff for a tournament.

If they don't shoot the same, is there any benefit? I totally believe in shooting what you practice with in a match. Makes more sense to me.

That being said, I haven't even shot a match yet. Hopefully I get to pick up my G34 next week.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

thanks

Midas,

I reload 9mm not to save money but to customize my load to suit my 12 year old son who shoots IDPA. My load is a 124grain Rainer plated using 4.1grains of TiteGroup. Picked up brass and Winchester SP primers. My materials cost is about $70.00 per 1000. Accurate and makes right at 130PF. Labor is free because I make him reload. Now as far as what you desire, the new brass thing is gonna kill you. At about $80.00/1000, that sucks. No way you will save any $$$ that way. You can pick up sized used brass for about $20.00/1000. With used brass you are looking at about $100.00/1000. The 147 grain bullets are a bit more than 124's. If you pickup brass it gets even better. You can also save yourself ALOT of time and money be reading the recommendations for reloaders/accessories on this forum. The short story:

<1000/month get a Dillon Square Deal

>1000-2500/month a 550/650 is your best bet.

>2500/month in a single caliber, get a 1050 and go to town.

Lee