Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

THE DATA HATH SPOKEN!

johniac7078

Given all the distress over more IDPA rule changes that are pending, I recalculated our September match scores at 1 second per point down.

I will analyze the data more, but a quick glance of this limited reveals that the new scoring will have a major impact. It seems that as predicted, accuracy will count much more. Several of the highest placing shooters suffered, so at least in this match they were rewarded for speed. However, I am not sure this is an accurate conclusion, because one can imagine that top shooters may be better at "gaming" a stage which will be deemphasized at 1 pt per sec.

Anyway, I will crunch more numbers as time allows and expand the analysis for the last 6 matches. For all you nerds, there may be a mathematical model that I can use to accurately predict the changes, but I will have to get my geek on when I have more time.

Data comments: The first column in red shows the new overall placement, the revised total score in column I.

I can't upload a .xls file here so The data can be found here: http://www.woburnactionshooters.org/files.html

under match data analysis....

Discuss.

Edited by johniac7078

I did a similar review as this with results from a recent major match in the loca area. Out of ~150 shooters all but ~10-12 change overall finish order. I did not look at changes by Div / Class. However, some shooters moved 15-17 places but most moved 1 or 2.

I did a similar review as this with results from a recent major match in the loca area. Out of ~150 shooters all but ~10-12 change overall finish order. I did not look at changes by Div / Class. However, some shooters moved 15-17 places but most moved 1 or 2.

Look at this analysis here across multiple local matches.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222250

Just count the dots on the line, which are the shooters have overall standing NOT impacted. Although the author did not indicate the sample size, visually we can see about 20% at most are NOT impacted.

post-39241-0-72261300-1443647820.jpg

Look at this analysis here across multiple local matches.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222250

Just count the dots on the line, which are the shooters have overall standing NOT impacted. Although the author did not indicate the sample size, visually we can see about 20% at most are NOT impacted.

post-39241-0-72261300-1443647820.jpg

Well, it is pretty hard to interpret data without statistics, so I won't. How about a P value?

How did you account for people slowing and down and trying to be more accurate under new scoring than they might under the scoring in use when the data gathered? How did you account for people who would take makeup shots when scoring is -1 sec vs -.5 sec?

How did you account for people slowing and down and trying to be more accurate under new scoring than they might under the scoring in use when the data gathered? How did you account for people who would take makeup shots when scoring is -1 sec vs -.5 sec?

how can you account fro something that did not happen yet?

Exactly. You are comparing apples to oranges. Any conclusions from all these "studies" recalculating scores are flawed and meaningless.

I think there's great value in trying to figure out which type of shooter will need to change their current approach in order to stay competitive under the new system. I don't think the answer will be something as simple as "everyone across the board needs to slow down".

Edited by FTDMFR

Exactly. You are comparing apples to oranges. Any conclusions from all these "studies" recalculating scores are flawed and meaningless.

All your comment does is show that you don't know how to interpret data.

Anyway, you are totally missing the point. The purpose of the analysis is to see which shooters are most impacted by the impending rule change. The data already show that for slow shooters, the scoring change hurts the most. Slowing down will not help for this group, obviously. For top shooters, they will trade off speed for accuracy to a certain point assuming they can. Without doing so, this group is impacted the most in terms of where they place.

The problem with the idea that people will adjust is that you are assuming they can. The data will bear that out.

About make up shots- top shooters call shots, and ONLY take make up shots if needed because it SLOWS YOU DOWN and screws up your stage planning. In that case, make up shots may actually make things worst, forcing a reload for example.

Data are only meaningless if you are unable to understand what they actually show, and understand the limitations of a given data set. Right now, this "meaningless" data is showing pretty strongly that this plan will not have much of an effect other than at the very top, and since the folks on the top are likely to figure it out, it will only make MM-NV level shooters post worst scores.

Edited by johniac7078

I think there's great value in trying to figure out which type of shooter will need to change their current approach in order to stay competitive under the new system. I don't think the answer will be something as simple "everyone across the board needs to slow down".

I agree. If you are slow, slowing down more will not help. It is absurd to think otherwise, but hey, who needs data when you can just assert BS? LOL. Nice job on your number crunching.

As I'm looking at more and more data, I'm starting to think the shooters that will be hurt the most in terms of ranking are low Masters / high Experts. I'll post more in the other thread.

Edited by FTDMFR

As I'm looking at more and more data, I'm starting to think the shooters that will be hurt the most in terms of ranking are low Masters / high Experts. I'll post more in the other thread.

My bet is that it'll be as the OP suggested. The very top and bottom won't change.

Those at the bottom tend to be new shooters. They're slow and their points down, relative to their raw time, is often actually pretty good. IOW, they're relatively accurate, so they won't be affected much.

Those at the top tend to be among the more accurate, so they won't be affected much.

The most variability in accuracy lies in the shooters between the top and bottom, so they're the ones most likely to be affected. A small few are very accurate, and a small few are very inaccurate, so these few will be very affected (for better or worse).

Edited by GrandBoule

Anyone else think this is the way tthe old guys on the board are trying to stay relevant? Not as fast as they used to be but stil shoot good and aren't happy to see themselves further down the standings because the younger crowd games it and is fast enough the points down don't hurt as bad. After all they made a big deal about experience in the announcement. Little conspiracy theory for ya lol

Exactly. I think peoples approach would be different if they knew they were competing under the new rule. I definitely go faster when I shoot USPSA limited division than when I shoot IDPA.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyway, you are totally missing the point. The purpose of the analysis is to see which shooters are most impacted by the impending rule change. The data already show that for slow shooters, the scoring change hurts the most. Slowing down will not help for this group, obviously. For top shooters, they will trade off speed for accuracy to a certain point assuming they can. Without doing so, this group is impacted the most in terms of where they place.

Along with IDPA, I particapte in a league that uses a different scoring system. They use 0-down for head shots and 0-down for heart-shots. So, theorhetically, I can shoot 5 targets with five bullets and complete a stage 0-down if I landed them all in the head or heart 1-each per target. Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop. Done. (Of course they rarely go down like that, but it's possible)

The reason I mention this is that I see how those guys shoot that league vs IDPA. You still have the fast guys, but you also have the slower but deliberate guys. The same good guys show up at the top. The really good guys (top 10%) are both fast and accurate.

The only people that are really, really penalized are the new shooters who simply don't know the rules of scoring, are nervous, and are generally inexperienced in this game. ALL 3 of those go away after a handful of matches.

So, the bottom-scoring shooters aren't at the bottom because they are trying to "slow down". They are there becasue they, "don't know how to do things faster." (acquire a sight picture, fire a good shot, reload, change positions...). All of those things are known by the mid and upper level shooters.

Personally, I don't think things will change much in the end as everyone will reevaluate their strategies...except the newbies who have no established strategies at all, and therefore no reason to complain.

Edited by DellConagher