Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR II 1.5-8x28mm

tplace

Anyone using one of these beasts? I'm seriously thinking about buying one but have not been able to find one within a 50 mile radius to look at. I know its big, and relatively heavy, I worked the FNH Match and saw the one Bruce Piatt was using on his .308.

I'd really like to know what the eye box is like and how the eye relief is, thoughts on the quality of the glass would be appreciated too. It will go on a LR-308 that I use for Heavy Metal 3Gunning.

Thanks!

I had one for awhile. It's got great glass, the reticle leaves a little to be desired for me. The eyebox and eye relief we're ok, but not the most forgiving. I never shot a match with it, I think a true 1x is always going to be more useful than the top end. The 1-5x XTRII is the one I would choose for 3gun.

But for heavy metal it's irons or nothing...

I dig it. Eyebox has never been a problem but I haven't measured it. Brightness is offensive at the highest setting -- even on a sunny mountain day you have to leave it at 8 or 9 out of 11 for high speed stuff. I have the MRAD version so drop is whatever I compute: I couldn't tell you if the BDC is accurate or not. It's a chunker, but it's pleasant.

That is, when I don't have to send it back to the factory because some of the guts went loose. To be fair, Burris took care of it promptly.

I dig it. Eyebox has never been a problem but I haven't measured it. Brightness is offensive at the highest setting -- even on a sunny mountain day you have to leave it at 8 or 9 out of 11 for high speed stuff. I have the MRAD version so drop is whatever I compute: I couldn't tell you if the BDC is accurate or not. It's a chunker, but it's pleasant.

That is, when I don't have to send it back to the factory because some of the guts went loose. To be fair, Burris took care of it promptly.

. I know of someone else who had to send theirs back to Burris when the guts came loose as well. Hasn't happened yet to mine and I sure hope it doesn't. Otherwise I absolutely love mine. I made sure my 300 yard dot was on at 300 yards and the 400, 500, 600 yd lines are all spot on. Two things I would change are exposed turrets and the dual plane reticle. Edited by GetAwayDriva

How many times did you send it back? Since it was repaired do you have much mileage on it.

I had one for awhile. It's got great glass, the reticle leaves a little to be desired for me. The eyebox and eye relief we're ok, but not the most forgiving. I never shot a match with it, I think a true 1x is always going to be more useful than the top end. The 1-5x XTRII is the one I would choose for 3gun.

But for heavy metal it's irons or nothing...

Yeah, the 1.5x is a little off putting, it will take some getting used to; it didn't seem to slow Piatt down though, but then again, him and me are like comparing apples and cinder blocks.

How many times did you send it back? Since it was repaired do you have much mileage on it.

Once. 175 rounds.

I have had one for 3 months now on my 223. I really like it and have had no problems. The weight was a non issue for me. I like the Eyebox and the lack of true 1X was not an issue for me either. I really like the added magnification when our club gets out past 400. But I was coming off a PA 1X6, which is great glass for the money, but I now see why people spend more on quality glass. My only complaint is I wish the turrets locked. I keep an eye on mine every time I take it out of the case.

I have had one for 3 months now on my 223. I really like it and have had no problems. The weight was a non issue for me. I like the Eyebox and the lack of true 1X was not an issue for me either. I really like the added magnification when our club gets out past 400. But I was coming off a PA 1X6, which is great glass for the money, but I now see why people spend more on quality glass. My only complaint is I wish the turrets locked. I keep an eye on mine every time I take it out of the case.

What do you think of the turrets? they feel mushy at all?

I have a 1-5XTR II on the way for my AR. If I like it (and I'm sure I will), I may put a stronger XTR on my .308 bolt. Eyeballing the ballistics chart, it looks like the 5.56mm Gen 3 BDC should work decently well for a .308 175gr SMK at least out to 700 yards. If the BDC chart is accurate after testing on my .223, then I'll take that as a vote towards this 1.5-8 for the bolt.

I'm liking my 1.5-8 XTRII. The eye box is maybe not as good as the Vortex Razor but hasn't caused me any major issues. I've run it now in a few club matches as well as at Rocky Mountain. I think the higher range on max magnification helps me more than the 1.5x hurts me on the low end. If you shoot a lot of close range stuff though(like 75 yards or less), I can see how the 1.5x would be distracting. Like others have said, I find the turrets to be good and stiff and stay in place well. They are easy to check that the zero has not inadvertently been moved too.

I was thinking about picking up the 1.5-8X for precision carbine matches...223 gas guns shooting out to 600. I ended up going with the 3-15X because of the lack of parallax adjustment on the 1.5-8. It probably doesn't matter as much in 3-gun, but has anyone noticed reticle movement with eye position?

My 1.5-8x28 arrived yesterday and, so far, I'm pretty impressed. I put it on a rifle just to get a feel for what it was like to look through, it seems to be quite clear with decent eye relief and eye box. The illumination on the reticle is the brightest I've seen on a scope, it's WAY brighter than my Vortex PST 1-4's.

Can't wait to see what it's like at the range.