Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 sw Minor 155 lead, WSF or WST

usmc0326

I got a 40 cal 2011, I was hoping to use it in three gun and speed steel. But I can only find WST and WSF locally in 4lb. From what I have seen is WST will be the better choice? Does anyone have a load range for WST (Min gr, max grains) for lead 155 gr. One of the local bullet companies makes the 155 and I get them super cheap. It's just going to be local match/ steel / practice ammo, so it doesn't have to be super low SD/ES, or laser accurate or super clean. Wanna be able to just blast a couple tho to get to the next level of excellence. (I have searched the forum/ net, even contacted alliant etc). I found a lead 155 load, but it was old (2005) and it didn't say what the min was. Not trying to blow up a 3500 dollar gun by loading under safe mins.

Thanks

Hodgdon shows:

Winchester WSF .400" 1.125" 6.2gr 1,030fps 23,500 PSI 7.1gr 1,164fps 32,300 PSI
Winchester WST .400" 1.125" 5.1gr 996fps 27,400 PSI 5.9gr 1,091fps 33,400 PSI

These are for Berry's Plated bullets, so you can estimate a little higher velocity for bare lead.

Edited by PKT1106

WST is a better choice only in that it takes less powder for a given velocity.

In general, WSF is more accurate in 9x19 than WST.

If you can't find a minimum, it means the data is a MAX load. Reduce the MAX load by 10-12% for a start load. Most manuals say so somewhere on the page or at the start of the load data.

I shot this load (3.8 WST under 155 Bayou Bullet) in my Limited Pro for 3 years with no problem. I put a red dot on the Limited Pro last year because of my eye sight and shot in Unlimited division. People were asking me how I could get such a flat shooting load with no compensator. I lied and told them it was my firm grip that kept the muzzle flip down.

• 3 weeks later...

When I used a 40 in 3gun my load was 3.5G of WSF under a155g Precision Delta loaded at 1.180".

Very soft and it would take down plate rack plates even with a low hit.

But after having to make a spinner rotate at a 3gun match I started carrying 50 rounds of USPSA 'major' ammo for just such special occasions.

• 2 weeks later...