Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New brass bright wet beads of kalamazoo

durdy1

The dust is a result of what comes off the cases, not from the media. All the dryer sheets in the world won't stop it from escaping when you pour the tumbler out. If you tumble inside your house, you will have lead dust everywhere. I had to have my entire house cleaned once I went to wet and every time we tested the dust, it came back as positive for lead dust. When we cleaned the air ducts we did the same thing, with the same result. If you tumble outside it's a non issue.

Hmm... Thanks but no thanks... Here's a quote from their website:

"We’ve found that on occasion the ceramic beads will get themselves stuck into a shell casing during the polishing and tumbling process. You’ll notice this during the Completion Step (#10).

To remedy the issue, we suggest a small probe or other pointed tool (screwdriver) to easily pick out the beads with just a little pressure.

Always inspect the casing to make certain it is clean."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed that part of the description. If that is the case there is no way I am interested in those. If they are stating that right there on their website, I am willing to bet it happens more than just once in a while.

SS pins get stuck in primer pockets ever now and then; just use a smal clamp and remove them. Plus it gives you a chance to inspect the brass, again.

The dust is a result of what comes off the cases, not from the media. All the dryer sheets in the world won't stop it from escaping when you pour the tumbler out. If you tumble inside your house, you will have lead dust everywhere. I had to have my entire house cleaned once I went to wet and every time we tested the dust, it came back as positive for lead dust. When we cleaned the air ducts we did the same thing, with the same result. If you tumble outside it's a non issue.

Have you ever had your blood lead level tested? 95% of lead is inhaled during firing, and if you RO allot, you will inhale everyone else's lead also. What's left in the spent primer pocket is orders of magnitude smaller than when firing. Lead cannot go thru your skin, it has to be eaten or inhaled. And most of what is ingested, goes out as quickly as it goes in. The lowest lead level of all the shooters that I know, shooting at least 6 times a month, is a 4. Most guys are in the 6-8 or higher, even running total metal jackets and wet tumbling or slurry dry tumbling. The only way to get lower is to run non-heavy metal primers, or stop shooting, Not!

Edited by 9x45

Slavex, and how high was that? In California, it is reported to the county at 20 plus, and to the State and OSHA at 40 plus. But the reason for that is the health agencies want to know if you work in the lead idustry, ie, making batteries, or salvaging lead, so they can make you aware of the hazards, especially kids in the house. The reporting is not really intended for shooters. What kind of bullets and powder are you running, and how many per week are you shooting? Indoors or out? Very high levels can only be from inhaling lead and is usually associated with people who work indoor ranges doing cleanup. There is not enough lead residue left in the spent primer after firing (lead styphnate compound) to get to high levels.

Edited by 9x45

1.92 umol/L and the max according to Health Canada is 0.48 umol/L. I was down to 0.79 for awhile but have climbed back to 1.2. Not sure why as I'm been doing less shooting and no longer do dry tumbling, and even moved the wet tumbling to the garage. Doctor thinks it might just be being dumped from my system for some reason, we are doing monthly tests now instead of every 6 months.

Edited by slavex

1.92 umol/L and the max according to Health Canada is 0.48 umol/L. I was down to 0.79 for awhile but have climbed back to 1.2. Not sure why as I'm been doing less shooting and no longer do dry tumbling, and even moved the wet tumbling to the garage. Doctor thinks it might just be being dumped from my system for some reason, we are doing monthly tests now instead of every 6 months.

Best of luck brother, hope you get those levels down.

According to the tests taken by Health Canada of the dust in my house at the time it absolutely could have accounted for my lead levels. However most of the blame was indeed placed on the poor ventilation we had at my indoor with the tumbling dust being an additional source.

SS pins get stuck in primer pockets ever now and then; just use a smal clamp and remove them. Plus it gives you a chance to inspect the brass, again.

When SS media originally got popular this was true but the newer pins are sized a bit larger so this doesn't happen. I changed my media from the original smaller pins to the newer slightly larger size and this in no longer an issue. (My new SS pins are sized at .047"x.255")

When SS media originally got popular this was true but the newer pins are sized a bit larger so this doesn't happen. I changed my media from the original smaller pins to the newer slightly larger size and this in no longer an issue. (My new SS pins are sized at .047"x.255")

Yeah those are the size I have and I have never really had a problem with the pins getting stuck.

Slavex, 1.92 umol/L is like 40 ug/dL, which is how we measure in the US. That's pretty freaking high. But you can be sure that a poorly ventilated indoor range, and not wearing a particle mask, will get you there in a hurry. I never, ever, shoot indoors.

Newer indoor ranges in the US are built to the latest OSHA specs and call for a pretty stiff wind to flow downrange. As long as the blowers are on it's safer than shooting outdoors where no wind or wind in the wrong direction means you're sucking lead.

With that being said, indoor ranges are filthy with lead dust and after working at one and seeing the crappy maintenance that is (or worse, isn't) done, I wouldn't shoot at an indoor range either. Besides, most of them get uptight when you start double-tapping or rage dumping your mags - even when your groups are tighter than anything they could do with a scope and a sandbag.

PS. Discussion progressing nicely in this thread, we're way off topic :devil:

I shoot primarily on an indoor and after the initial lead test came back the club spent the money to have a state of the art air handling system installed. My lead tests dropped quickly after that. This recent spike is strange as I've actually been shooting less lately due to other issues.