Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes this?

ctay

46172b5e-9998-4655-b160-0fe0f9d1e542_zps2472df35-354f-49db-9495-fd9657743824_zps

I know it is the slide hitting driving the brass into the barrel hood - just not sure why? These rounds didn't jam the gun up this time but maybe next time.

38SC @ 173 PF

Sideways c-more mount

9lb recoil spring

Replaced the springs in the AFTEC, problem persists

Ejector? Extractor?

Edited by ctay

Agree with a matt, most likely an ejector issue. The case should be long gone before the slide starts forward.

However, I'd first make sure the slide is traveling fully to the rear. Low extraction speed can cause your problem and is the result of any number of factors. It's an easy thing to check for so I'd do that before getting mean with the ejector.

Edited by Absocold

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-7061-0-07991300-1440271886.jpg

Here's a picture of some of my brass when I was having problems. Closing the magazine feed lips to .325ish solved that problem. I tried extractors, ejectors, and various recoil springs. Adjusting the feed lips solved my problem. Mine were in the .350-.355 neighborhood.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-7061-0-07991300-1440271886.jpg

Here's a picture of some of my brass when I was having problems. Closing the magazine feed lips to .325ish solved that problem. I tried extractors, ejectors, and various recoil springs. Adjusting the feed lips solved my problem. Mine were in the .350-.355 neighborhood.

Looks like the same issue - I'll give that a try and report back.

I'll also try a 8lb recoil spring and see if that makes a difference.

How often is that occurring? If only occasionally I would bet that it is on the last round only and you may even notice that the last brass sometimes ejects or lands differently.

If so, check the base of your brass and you may find two marks on the rear edge of the rim. What is probably happening is that on the last round there is no next round to keep that brass from slipping down the breech face as it is being extracted. The base of that brass is then trapped by the mag's feed lips and the slide slams into the case mouth on the slide's rearward travel. The slide has much greater force on it's rearward travel than while closing. Brass usually not damaged by the slide closing as the recoil spring does not close the slide with nearly the same force as on the extraction stroke.

The solution is adjusting your extractor. Probably needs more tension...

The strange thing is that I have another open gun that is very similar. I use the same mags on both and do not have this problem with that gun. Never the less, I'm adjusting the mag lips to see if it helps.