Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Trubor

blacklab

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it any way. I almost have enough saved up to buy a new Trubor in 9mm. But then I started thinking about what it is going to cost to get it to run. From what I read, the ejector is going to have to be tuned, the mags will have to be tuned and a few other small things would most likely need to be done. So I started to think that maybe I might be better off buying a used 2011 package that is already tuned. From what I understand, in October after the nationals there will be a few here on BE coming up for sale. So what do you think? Buy a new one and put out the extra cash to get it to run, or buy a used one that's ready to go? Your opinions would be appreciated thanks.

Hello: I would ask around your area first to see if anyone has one for sale. Yes, it is true that there will be some guns for sale after nationals or near Christmas time. I would learn as much as you can about shooting an open 2011 to see what you are in for. Have you shot an open gun? If not you may want to try one first to see if it will be something you want to pursue. Some just don't like the noise or can't get used to the dot. The first open guns I tried I did not like at ll. They were so loud and the concussion was so bad that it was like getting knuckled in the forehead. I then tried some others and they were not so bad at all. Now I really enjoy shooting open but I also like shooting the other divisions was well. You may want to look at Carry Optics as well if you don't reload or open minor till you start to reload. Like any sport the initial cost is high to get all the equipment but it sure is fun. Thanks, Eric

I would buy a CK arms. Already has all the upgraded parts you will most likely put into a trubor. No reason to tune mags. Make sure the lips are to spec and shoot.

Good advice ^^^. You won't go wrong with a CK Arms and unless you are getting just a smoking deal on a Trubor, I would do the CK.

If you do decide to go the Trubor route, I offer the following:

In my experience, the newish MBX magazines are ready to rock and roll, right out of the box and they need no spacers. You will need spacers for an STI magazine in 9mm.

As far as extractor tuning, slap an Aftec in there and be done with it.

Good luck to you!

Aftercooler6racer, yes I have shot other peoples open guns and you might say it was love at first sight :wub: The reloading equipment is next on the list. Un till I get that set up I'll just have to buy +p loads.

RenoShooter. I don't like to tinker. That's why I was wondering about buying one that was already tuned. I thought more would have to be done than just the ejector. A least that is what I heard. (Buy the way, I bought your safariland holster. LOVE it. Thanks.)

Awesome, I'm glad it's working for you! Seriously, I have 2 Grandmasters in 9mm and the only thing I did to them was put in the Aftec's. The stock extractor would occasionally hit the scope mount, but the new one gets the brass to the ejector quicker and has yet to hit the mount. Both guns!

My first open gun was a Trubor, I bought earlier this year. I replaced the extractor (Brazos), I changed the safety (Phoenix Trinity), firing pin (Brazos), slide stop (Brazos), hammer group (Brazos) and had a zig racker installed. It runs great. I just got my CK Arms on Friday, the only thing I added was a *thumb rest [generic]*. This thing is tight and runs like a scalded cat (southern humor). This gun is super tight when you get it. I put a 100 rounds through it and it loosened up quite nicely. My Trubor is my backup gun until after the Nationals; it is going to get sold to purchase another CK Arms. Everyone is right, I did the math and with aftermarket parts I am at the price of my new CK Arms. I am just going to order an MBX mag and that is it. GO the CK Arms route, you won't regret it.

Edited by BiggMike

Black, I bought my TruBor tuned from Brazos, and it ran great until some springs wore out.

It didn't need ANY new parts ...

When the springs wore out (20,000 rounds or so), my gunsmith replaced the springs, and

changed the extractor to an Aftec, but it really didn't NEED it - never have done anything

to the ejector.

My Dawson TruBor used to have cases hit the mount - but the problem was one of my

five mags. I changed the springs on that one mag, and the problem went away. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

No, you don't need an AFTEC. Apparently something has changed with AFTEC. I just put a new AFTEC in my Trubor cause my old AFTEC wore out (even with new springs), it would not hold the brass on its own. The new one had over 32oz of holding power, my gun would not even feed the round into the chamber cause it was so tight. So I put in a tuned Extractor and it worked great. I also took out the stock Trubor Ejector and put in a new EGW ejector and it worked great right out of the box.

After a lot of experimenting this year, I would not buy a tuned mag, I would tune them myself. Why spend all that extra money for someone to polish you a magazine. 3 of the new tuned magazines I got from Brazos were not tuned to specs, so I just did it myself.

If you can find a good used Trubor I would get it, but every one here seems to drool over CK arms guns. Personally I have not seen one in person and I am probably getting me a DVC open on Monday. Call me nuts, but I like working on things to make them run.

Strange string of events happened the last few weeks. I was put in contact with a up and coming pistol smith. We talked about what I wanted and he said no problem. So apparently I'm getting a new custom 2011 that's already tuned at a good price. Funny how things work.