Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SWC feeding reliability in 1911

JMPhotog

Good read. I too like those nice paper holes the SWC's leave. Helps these old eyes see them! I have a new RO and want to loadsome of the 450 or so Xtreme 200gr SWC's I have left to try them. My XD service didn't like them but maybe it was all related to OAL. We'll see.

Thanks,

JD

I don't go by "should" and "usually", I go by what works all the time, in reality. The best OAL for the Bayou LSWC, for me, tested with 4 different 1911s and 4 different makes of magazine (Wilson ETM and 47D, CheckMate, MetalForm, Chip McCormick), is 1.235". But, 99% feeding reliability is not good enough.

With round nose bullets, there's a big range of OALs that all work all the time. What would be my motivation to keep fussing with the SWC bullets?

With round nose bullets, there's a big range of OALs that all work all the time. What would be my motivation to keep fussing with the SWC bullets?

Good point. Guess I have allowed the multitude of comments about how SWC profiles are more accurate and the argument many top competitors and match Ammo makers use 200gr SWC profiles rather than the tried and true 230gr RN to cloud my judgement.

As long as I don't load 230 RN too long in OAL I never have an issue. And about anything I shoot is more accurate than I ever will be.

BugBit, you aren't the OP. I get your frustration with the bullet, but maybe the OP wants to figure it out.

I'm not frustrated. Just not going to use SWCs any more, have already moved on. How am I stopping the OP from figuring it out?

Just sharing my experience as it might end up helping the OP. The answer might lie in gunsmith tuning.

I just shot the Western States Single stack match, 13 stages, with no ammo problems using the Bayou 200 gr swc. Both my 1911's eat them, no problem. Got a few comment about the big clean holes. I did buy some round nose bullets in case the swc bullets didn't feed in my son in law's M&P 45, but the swc bullets feed fine in it too. 1.25" oal. Mark

Wow, amazed to see this issue still.

Look at your feed ramp. Is is smooth?

Look at the frame ramp to barrel junction, Make SURE there is no lip there. Also, angles should be the same for the frame ramp and barrel throat.

Barrel should be relieved up the sides.

I have shot tens of thousands of LSWC in my 1911s, and have not had ANY feeding problems.

My SA TRP likes 200gr SWC at about 1.210" to 1.230". Shot many a thousand of these and zero issues. (knock on wood) never any hangups at a match with them.

These are with Precision Delta swaged bullets. There is maybe a thumbnail's thickness of shoulder above the case mouth. Only issue I have is the Precision Delta's are pretty soft and they will lead up my barrel if I don't clean it every other match or so.

Edited by DMax

Well, I tried out my Xtreme 200gr SWC's in my RO. Worked fine loaded to 1.246. No feeding issues using either ETM's or SA mags. Of course, I haven't fired 2K worth like GunBugBit has, but I did just order another 1K from Extreme. I was going to go with Bayou 200's since I really like their 147 FP 9mm's, but I decided to just go with what seems to work for now. I still have lot's of work to do with powder charges/brands and recoil springs that will take some time and help ward off cabin fever this winter.

JD