Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need bullet puller recommendation

GregJ

I have the kinetic puller, and an RCBS puller. The kinetic takes too long, and the RCBS does not work very well with 230gr FMJ RN bullets as there doesnt seem to be enough of a bearing surface for the collet to grip onto.

Only other option I have seen is the Hornady Cam Lock. Anyone have experience with this one? Or one that will work with 230gr jacketed RN?

Ordered the Grip-n-Pull on the 11th, got it yesterday. Pulled about 20 rounds last night. This thing is slicker than snot on a door knob. It works great for 230gr RN, and it doesn't booger up the bullet, so I can reuse them as practice rounds. I had just one that took more than the first attempt. It must have been seated a tad deeper providing less bearing surface, but all the others came out on the first try. Only caveat with it, you need a single stage press for it to work.

The kinetic hammer is getting an early retirement. :cheers:

Edited by GregJ

Yep, toss the hammer. After breaking two of them I went for the Hornady cam lock. The cam lock works really well and is easily adjusted if there is bullet to grab on to. Pulling 9 and 40 was easy, but I did have issues with 45 since the taper starts right of the case. Since I had 500 45's (wrong powder charge) that needed to be pulled I experimented and adjusted until it would pull the bullets. It probably took close to 30 minutes to get it pulling reliably.

I wish I had known about the grip-n-pull back then. One tool would have covered all my needs.

I have he RCBS puller, and it worked quite well for 9MM. I had to pull 200+ 45 ACP 200gr SWC and found that the 9mm collet was perfect for pulling the 45 200 GR SWC. And the majority of the bullets were totally unmarred. Doesn't help the situation with the round nose, but it does show that there is versatility.

I will be checking out the grip and pull.

• 4 weeks later...