Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Guide Rod

Nate

I was at the range yesterday and my heavy guide rod broke off right at the head as I was shooting groups to get warmed up. I turn my head phones off when I work alone and did not notice the sound of the gun cycling change. As I finished my session I took off my head phones and cycled my gun to dry fire a couple of groups and I could tell that I had a problem. I took it apart and sure enough no guide rod. I picked up all my brass and finally found the guide rod back where I started shooting groups at 50 yards. Not a big deal except that I had the best practice session ever, fast transitions and pairs you could cover with one piece of tape. :o Maybe it is time to try a light guide rod. Don't know why it broke. It was properly fitted and there was no metal to metal contact. It did have 50K or so on it.

I was worried about the lugs and the gun unlocking funny but they were fine. I have a two piece rod that is very light and I used the file on that to fit it and will give it a try. Chevy parts are good for a lot of things not just cars ;)

Ahhh Common??? Where's the love here? :P

I'm just looking for a little support on the "lighter up front is better" argument.

I've been posting on it for years - but to no avail :(

Now I've got a solid case as evidence!!!! And no - I did NOT sabatoge his guide rod!!!!!!

JB

I seen someone make a guide rod out of delin round stock. Cut a steel guide rod off and use the base, drill and tap the delrin, drill a hole thru the base,counter sink a machine screw in the base, and final fit the lenght with the reverse plug or barrel bushing. Sounds like i have talked myself into a project!

Before I switched to STI, I had a Clark Recoil Master built on a Caspian hi-cap frame. It had a standard gov length guide rod(not extended) and could out run thr eveready bunny. That old relic is still around and still won't stop.

I will have my next limited gun built with a bushing barrel and steel guide rod to keep the weight down. I have found that a gun that is too heavy can hurt more than help.

I can't remember the brand of guide rod. I have tried quite a few. I am going to try a lighter set up. But Flex might remind us that it is the driver not the car.

Guide rods aren't needed, just another wonderful marketing ploy. Only thing they are good for is adding weight and making it easier taking your gun apart, you don't have to deal with plug spring bushing wrench flying stuff.

Jason,

My Cominoli was my extra guide rod, so the one that broke is something else. My particular gun wont run with a shok buff so I run the Cominoli with just the buff on the end of the guide rod, hasn't torched it yet.

I had bought my STI brand new. I took it out the first time and broke the guide rod. They shipped me a new one and broke that one also. They had me ship the gun to them and they installed it and when I got it back I broke that one too. They couldn't figure it out. I was new to shooting not familiar with pistols at all.

I changed the spring that came with it and replaced it with a 16lbs. It cured it. The only thing I can think of is the spring they put is was a 7 or 8lb by mistake or the 14lb spring was way off. All of them were Tungsten guide rods. I have had the same one in after that and its been 5000 rounds.

Flyin40