Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure To Eject

WJM

I am back once again! This time with two questions.

My one Tanfoglio Stock 2 is having some slight issues. It is seeming to seize up, yet when the magazine is bumped from the bottom it seems to auto it forward. It doesn't "lock" but it does seem to not have enough power to take the slide forward again.

My other Tanfoglio Stock 2 9mm is having issues with ejection. Around 1 in every 400 or so is having a failure to eject. The extractor seems to be slipping off the case, and the resulting case is staying inside the barrel. The slide goes forward, hitting the next round in the magazine causing a death jam of sorts. I have used a U die, I case guage all my ammo, and this has lead me to believe this is a brass issue. (I have tried it where I will shoot all the same brass through the gun to make sure it doesn't have issues, and then load that brass again and it seems to have worked for the last 1k or so).

Anyone else have this issue or concur with my thought process?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Have you checked to see if the extractor tip is damaged? Also remove extractor, clean gunk out of the channel it sits it and check the spring while you're in there. Maybe even just replace the spring. Wolf make an extra power one. I've not personally noticed any difference between the wolf xp or the stock spring. Both work fine for me but they do wear out over time like all springs.

My Stock III is having the same extraction issues. Seems to be about 1 in every 100 rounds. If I take out the extractor and clean it and the channel the failures stop until the extractor starts to get dirty (excess of 500 rounds). I just changed out the factory extractor spring and replaced with a XP Wolf. I shot a local match on Saturday and had a practice session so am around the 500 round mark with no failures yet so will see if the XP Wolf extractor spring was the cure.

I shot Leatherhead moly bullets 125 (practice) and MG 124 (matches) with VVN320 so the mix is pretty clean burning.

I would save the case that didn't extract, then check the extractor tension with that case. Could be extractor tension, could be a chewed up rim on an old case....

I also saw this exact behavior on my old Baby Eagle. It actually turned out to be the recoil spring, which had never been replaced. My theory is that it was blowing out of lockup so fast that the extractor couldn't get a good hold on cases that had a rounded off/beat up rim on them (even with a new extractor and spring). Anyway, a new "8lb long slide spring" was put in and it never did that again.

Edited by Nealio

You have to tune the depth of the extractor so it is engaging the rim of the case properly. If you take the slide off the gun, then take the guide rod and barrel out so you have easy access to the breach face and extractor. Take a used piece of brass and slowly insert it into the normal "Chambered" position on the breach face. The extractor should deflect slightly as you push the brass up into the "Chambered" position and the case should be pinched between the extractor hook and the opposite side of the breach face. If you can slip the brass up into the "Chambered" position without deflecting the extractor then the extractor isn't tuned properly.

Another thing to look at is the sharpness of the leading edge of the extractor hook. This is the tip of the hook that pushes into the side of the case rim. If that leading edge has been rounded off then there is a lot higher chance of it slipping off during extraction.

When I was shooting the EAA/Tanfo guns, once I had the depth of the extractor tuned properly, I would put a wolff Extra Power extractor spring in it and it would last at least 25K - 30K before the spring would need to be replaced. If the extractor is tuned properly and not allowed to slip off the case (failure to extract errors) it will last a very very long time before wearing out.