Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with shooting low

hkguy

I picked up a S&W PC 625 from a forum member here just before queen joyce changed the rules on me. I finally got around to working up some loads and putting in some practice at the range. I am not new to shooting REV, I have been doing so for 4 years now, though with my GP100.

My 625 is shooting POA/POI at 7 yards off a rest (as it should easily) but when I shoot it at my normal speed, I am about 5-7 in low and I am at a loss as to why. I am pretty in tune with my mechanics (movement science major). I had another member at the range take a video of me shooting and it appears that I am not dropping my hands, I don't feel like im slapping the trigger, and I don't think I am torqueing my hands down during the follow through.

below is a pic of the target I shot, red circle is from the rest, green circle is freestyle, and the yellow dot is my POA.

I am going to try and get a video posted too

Thanks in advance for your insight

post-27470-0-12302200-1441680911_thumb.j

In your first string of fire, there is a noticeable dip of the barrel on your 7th shot (which goes click). That suggests you are anticipating recoil or jerking the trigger. Hence the impacts are low left. That's my take anyway :)

Have you tried staging the trigger to see what happens? I had a bad flinch at one time with a revolver and a semi-auto. The results on target with the revolver was shots dropped towards 6 o'clock. With the semi-auto it was more towards 7 and 8 o'clock. Along with the flinch I was I also jerking the trigger.

Staging the trigger by itself didn't cure the flinch, but staging the trigger helped me see more, and helped with the jerking. As I got better and was seeing more, I picked up the speed on the trigger until I was no longer staging and I was pulling the trigger at normal speed.

Staging the trigger on a revolver can cause you to skip by a chamber if you move your finger forward a little when you stop. A PPC shooter recommended that to me, but I had to un-learn it when I started practical shooting.

I find it best to pull straight thru. Your trigger pull needs to be ahead of your sight picture, I'm already pulling the trigger as I come down out of recoil.

Releasing the trigger is as important as the pull. The trigger should swing back and forth as though it was a metronome, the same speed in both directions. You should be releasing the trigger as soon as the shoot breaks, with no pause at the rear.

If you're not keeping the trigger moving and staying ahead of the sight picture, it's easy to find yourself snatching at the trigger. Before a course of fire, I tell myself to "roll the trigger". It really does feel like a rolling motion to me.

no responses from hkguy - he clearly doesn't believe us ;)

Im here but have not had a chance to reflect and respond. Humble pie does not taste like it used to :/ . I've been busy chasing my kids around for the little time I had off over the holiday weekend. :( I don't get many holidays off working in the shipping industry.

I appreciate all your insight, ive been looking at it and over thinking too much. Looks like I have to go back to basics and focus on the fundamentals a bit more than I thought I would.

Edited by hkguy

Don't let it get you down. After a good number of years without having the problem, I recently started doing it again with my semi-auto. I don't shoot it much these days but I'm sure I would have the same problem with the revolver.

At first it was a hard thing to accept, and I was blaming everything else but me. Of course the first big step is recognizing the problem. You hit it square on the head about getting back to basics. Basics...we're to good for that, right! :)

I've been shooting a lot of single stack this year. Single action triggers make my finger retarded.

I'm in the same boat as you when I shoot the round gun, I need to focus on the trigger when I pick up the revo for a match. Don't get down on yourself, it's normal.

The trigger return is at least as important as the trigger pull. I find bill drills, 6 shots from the holster on a single target, to be very useful in concentrating on the trigger pull and return.