Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

State may making be buy a fifty

Rob Boudrie

The usual suspects in MA are currently beating thr drum for a FN-five-seven ban and 50BMG ban.

This means, of course, that I may have to buy a fifty soon. Any suggestions as to a quality firearms for a bit less than the $7K or so for the Barrett 82?

Yeah, the Armalite AR-50. Singleshot bolt action, great muzzle brake, very accurate. Cheap too! At $2885.00 it’s a pretty good bargain.

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar50.htm

I was looking at an AR-30 in .308 for an MOR setup. For $1460.00 it’s got everything. Muzzle brake, magazine feed, free floated barrel and good accuracy.

--

Regards,

I have been looking at 50BMG, but here we have problems importing so I have a Engineer who builds very accurate target rifles redesigning his action to accommodate to big 50. Due to be finished late this year.

But from where you are I would seriously join the Fifty Calibre Shooters Assc. I am a life member. Check out their magazine (Very High Power) and web site. http://www.fcsa.org/

I am very fond of the McMillans. I visited their facility in 2003 and due to the State Dept being a pack of horses arses, I can't buy one. Besides the wait is about a year. But it is probably the best out of the box. A big box too.

Get it quick and get reloading.

Look at the 50 cal shooters acc.

The McMillans are first rate, played with a mag fed sporter and it was awsome.

You may be able to pick up a used nice custom built one at the fcsa.org websight.

The armalite I tried was nowere near the sub MOA rifle the McMillan was.

Anyone have an idea what the stocking dealer price on a AR50 is and how hard they are to get?

$2175 plus shipping, is what your local dealer should be paying for them.

If you are in the market for an AR-50, try to get one though Darin Prince, he does group buys on them. He can be found at Biggerhammer.net, and some 1919a4(?) forum. Goes by the handle "Prince50"

I bought mine through him last year, best price you'll find.

CA made me buy mine last year, it's a hoot. No regrets.

My recommendation would be to either buy a McMillan, or, get a McMillan action, stock and Mike Rock barrel and hook up with George Gardner and have him build it. I have several of George's rifles (not in a 50) and they are tremendous guns.

Serbu down Florida way makes a far less expensive 50 cal, if you are just wanting to get one because your state now requires you own one :D . I would not put the Serbu and McMillan in the same class, nor does the price. Serbu makes a fun gun to blast with.

The AR50 I shot was one heavy sob. It was fun to shoot though.

Get on the FCSA web site and look at the results.

McMillan kicks.

Barrett is a MilSpec gun and not up to the accuracy these nuts (me included) desire.

But they do well in the Production Versionof FCSA 1000yard.

I tried to get an AR50 into here and everything was sweet until the Feds got hold of it. It appears that we are a risk to the world by enjoying outselves.

I have never shot one, they seem to be well regarded, so ask around at the FCSA.

The AR has a really long throat, not a match chamber. It will chamber pretty much anything the average .50 shoooter might want to shoot. It also weighs enough to be in the heavy class, against really custom guns.

On the plus side: it is a piece of cake to shoot due to its weight and muzzle brake, it is relatively cheap for a fifty, and it will chamber and fire all the fun ammo, not just handloaded match ammo kept to a very specific length, the action is solid so you could always have the barrel cut back and rechambered tighter if you wish.

I am certianly no expert on .50's, (I just enjoy shooting mine) so the FCSA is a good place for more info. If you wade through the trolls Biggerhammer discussion board is OK, there are knowledgeable folks over there.

I've got a GAP rifle on a McBros action. Skip the magazine, save the money and just get a single shot. It's not practical because latching a mag into place takes a whole bunch of fiddling to get seated correctly. Look at the TAC50 stock. The sporter style leaves a lot to be desired as far as cheek weld goes. I sugget a more effective brake than the McMillan style narrow one.

Other than that, it's great.

-z