Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Nationals Slots process a waste of time?

TaterHead

This may be interesting....

To what purpose does this process exist in this day?

Perhaps, at one point, it was to give the best shooters in USPSA the chance to enter the match before others, just in case it filled up. However, if the match does not sell out, then that need becomes moot.

So, is the demand for this match so high that an unbelievably complicated system must be employed to allow the best to get in first?

Was the process invented before the internet and there was some need to do all of this by paper?

Is it simply to drum up interest in the Match?

Then there is the waiting list.....

There simply has to be a simpler, less costly way to sign up folks for the match. If there is a need to allow some "in" first, that can be done by USPSA number on a match signup page. If you're in the list, you can sign up, otherwise you have to wait a day or so.

Different USPSA sections and areas seem to also have methods to "award" slots that they acquire. Those methods further complicate the process.

There are likely many ways this outdated system can be fixed, but it seems to me that if the match does not sell out, then none of this is needed.

Just saying, unless someone has a really good reason for the process, why are we spending money on even doing the Slots process?

How does it work?

I have shot a few matches that were slot series matches, I am a new shooter in USPSA and not very good right now.

Do you just shoot in the slot series matches for a place or do you have to win them?

Bret, it depends on how your section does it.

While how the slots are awarded to sections may need to be stream lined (I don't know), I like the fact that the sections get to decide how to dole out the slots in their sections. That way members actually have a say so in slot allocation. After the slots are filled up, then maybe the waiting list should be updated, too, once again IDK.

To answer the question if the slot system is a waste of time & effort? I would say YES.

The majority of the Top Contenders in each division usually earn their Nationals Slot from their prior nationals performance or Area match performance. For example, I have been contacted by USPSA directly and issued a Nationals Slot based on my prior major match results. All of my participation in local section qualifier series matches that are used to determine the distribution of our sections nationals slots is a waste of time for me to attend. The matches are fun and worth attending to shoot, but I don't attend to "Earn" a nationals slot because I usually get one anyway from my major match results.

I think they should ditch the whole nationals slot/wait list system and instead do it just like any other Level 3 Area match does it. Set a start date for registration to begin and let it fill up in a first come first serve basis. Then maintain a wait list from there.

I don't even want to know how much money and man hours are wasted with the current printed paper slot allocation process.