Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI #300

ricardo28

So about 2.5 years ago I bought over 10k CCI #300 primers for 45acp. I still have about 4k left but ran into a problem recently. These are always stored in their original container/box and kept in my garage out of the moisture but not in a sealed container. In that time I shot over 5k without an issue at all. Recently during local matches I began having FTF problems with primer strikes. I changed all the springs and still same thing. Recently I shot 200 rounds and had 10 FTF with the primers struck just as good as those that went off. Im not 100% sure but these issues are possibly from the same box of 1k primers. Im not interested in this happening at anymore matches so ordered some new Win LPP. Nervous about loading the next 4k primers but don't want to throw them away. Any info about this issue would help and I do plan to store in a sealed container (possibly ammo can) from now on.

Unless you swapped in a much lighter main spring <18# my guess is bad batch.

Call CCI about this and give them the lot info.

Do not store primers (especially in bulk) in a container that can hold & build pressure. Ammocan would not be advised.

I normally use CCI, but during the last shortage could not get them so I bought a couple thousand Winchester. Same issue - failure to fire with no other explanation. I'd never had a CCI do that, so I swore off Winchester and bought a bunch more CCI the next time I saw them. I hate to hear you had the opposite problem.

Not sure if this just means that every primer company is shortcutting to make shipments, or if I'm shooting more now and every manufacturer will have failures eventually.

CCI primers are slightly harder to seat due to size and cup thickness so as Guy said if they fired with a second hit I would say you need to look at making sure they are seated correctly to make sure the anvil has been set so it can ignite properly.

I specifically use CCI LP's for a large batch of 10mm brass that has been fired more than a few times and the primer pockets are loose but not too much. Since the CCI's fit a bit tighter they work well and I can continue to use the batch of brass for lite steel shooting loads.

Neal in AZ

All the primers were checked for flush seating and I attempted to fire several up to 5 times and no success. Main spring is 15lbs but again, I have fired over 5k from the same order without one issue with the same main spring lbs. Ill contact CCI. Really nervous about loading up the next 4+k and not being sure they will work. Thanks for the info about storage.

was thinking, i have had some extra primers. get a small primer shell, problem with the press and the primers are left over. some have sat for a while, sometimes months, out on my bench before i get them into a case and loaded. im loading some fresh ones straight from the package to the case and testing this theory.