Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 MOS. Not ejecting fully/not feeding.

ChefGierke

Hey guys, new shootrr to USPSA, Building my first competition gun. I have a glock 34, lone wolf threaded barrel, carver compensator, #11 recoil spring, pyramid drop in trigger system, amd a #2 striker spring. It is not ejecting spent cases. If it does eject them, they literally bounce off the top of the gun. Other times it won't properly feed the next round. It also does not always lock back on empty mag. Any ideas what I can do?

I'm brand new to customizations. Was using Federal, bullet weight is 115 grain, fps at barrel per box is 1145, energy is 335. All info on ammo is per the factory box.

If you need any other info just let me know. I will try anything I am stumped.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by ChefGierke

My guess is the gun doesn't have enough energy to cycle. Guns with comps need a higher power factor to operate because the comp is using so much energy there isn't enough left over to push the slide all the way back.

Do you reload?

My guess is the gun doesn't have enough energy to cycle. Guns with comps need a higher power factor to operate because the comp is using so much energy there isn't enough left over to push the slide all the way back.

Do you reload?

I do not reload yet, that's a work in progress yes. Is there a factory load that you think would do better?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by ChefGierke

If you are using factory ammo you should chrono it first to verify the stats on the box. You will need a definitive power factor. Also, with a Glock 34 you would need fewer comp holes than say a Glock 17. The more holes, the more you typically have to jack up the round's power factor to operate. Also, get a 9 pound Zev spring and cut a coil off of it. That should allow you to run the factory 130'ish PF ammo and have enough force to eject. The only off the shelf ammo I have found that meets the needs of an open 9mm is Buffalo Bore 124+P+. It's super expensive, (to me at least), so reloading will become a target for economics and round performance. But this should get you at least shooting reliably.

You have to break some eggs to make a comped pistol work. White box 115's will probably not do it. You are lucky to make them run in an uncomped gun sometimes. Try some 124 +P's, it will eject those with no problem and the gun will probably shoot much flatter.

• 1 month later...

Comped guns need comp'd ammo, ie, its gotta be hot, real hot. Off the shelf 9mm, espeically 115 gr, is not going to get you there. You were just lucky it was Federal, because that's the softest primer on the market, and probably the only one a 2lb firing pin spring could run. Some of the very expensive self defense 9mm in 124/147 loads, basically +P+ stuff will run, but it's super expensive. 320$ per thousand for major 9mm is expensive, and you better sure chrono it out of your gun. Plus keep in mind if you don't make major in Open, you will get hammered shooting minor.

There is much, much more going on in a USPSA match than just a magic gun. In fact the game is 95% mental, and 5% shooting. If I were you, I'd take put the OEM barrel back in, maybe a 15lb recoil spring, put the 5lb OEM firing pin spring back, hope the pyramid trigger is adjusted correctly, have seen plenty of aftermarket triggers quit running or go auto (DQ) and get to you nearest USPSA match. In fact, you are probably even better off to put the whole thing back to stock, with some nice sights, and run Production division for 20-30 matches before changing anything.

Edited by 9x45

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Comped guns need comp'd ammo, ie, its gotta be hot, real hot. Off the shelf 9mm, espeically 115 gr, is not going to get you there. You were just lucky it was Federal, because that's the softest primer on the market, and probably the only one a 2lb firing pin spring could run. Some of the very expensive self defense 9mm in 124/147 loads, basically +P+ stuff will run, but it's super expensive. 320$ per thousand for major 9mm is expensive, and you better sure chrono it out of your gun. Plus keep in mind if you don't make major in Open, you will get hammered shooting minor.

There is much, much more going on in a USPSA match than just a magic gun. In fact the game is 95% mental, and 5% shooting. If I were you, I'd take put the OEM barrel back in, maybe a 15lb recoil spring, put the 5lb OEM firing pin spring back, hope the pyramid trigger is adjusted correctly, have seen plenty of aftermarket triggers quit running or go auto (DQ) and get to you nearest USPSA match. In fact, you are probably even better off to put the whole thing back to stock, with some nice sights, and run Production division for 20-30 matches before changing anything.

Comped guns do take a bit of tuning to run. Your going to have more fun when you do start loading.