Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many magazine's?

bret

For IPSC, how many magazines should I have?

I will shoot limited major, I have 1 126mm magazine, it holds 15 rounds.

I have several 140 mm magazines but I was told I can't use them.

Are you shooting IPSC or USPSA?

If IPSC, you're shooting Standard Division. Your gun with empty mag inserted and hammer cocked, must fit the box. Appendix D2 of IPSC Handgun Rules

If USPSA, you're shooting Limited Division. Maximum magazine length is 141.25mm (double stack) or 171.25mm (single stack). Appendix D2 of USPSA Handgun Rules.

I don't shoot either Standard or Limited, but I would think 3 mags would be enough for any course of fire. The 3rd one on your belt is for the 'aw shit' moment. A few spares in your range bag is also a good idea.

Short course -- up to 8 rounds -- one mag and a spare should get you through.....

Medium Course -- up to 16 rounds -- topping off might get you through, but probably best to at least consider whether it would be prudent to plan a reload.

Long course -- up to 32 rounds. Two mags won't get you through -- you'll do at least 2 reloads for a 32 round stage. I would want at least five mags and four pouches -- because on some stages it might be prudent to fire a handful of rounds and then reload. (Shooting production I once fired two, and reloaded -- because it was the best way to break down that particular stage....)

Thanks, I shoot limited now so I have plenty of pouches and 140 mm magazine's, I like to have 4 or 5 on my belt in case I drop a magazine or three screwing up a reload.

Guess I will order 4 more 126 mm magazines

Thanks, I shoot limited now so I have plenty of pouches and 140 mm magazine's, I like to have 4 or 5 on my belt in case I drop a magazine or three screwing up a reload.

Guess I will order 4 more 126 mm magazines

Quick question -- are you shooting in the US, i.e. under USPSA rules? Or internationally -- under IPSC rules? If IPSC that would be Standard Division, and your plan would be solid....

If US/USPSA/Limited Division however, you may not want 126 mm mags.....

I shoot mostly USPSA, but in September there is an IPSC match I will be shooting.

So it looks like I need to order magazines for this match.

I changed the mag well, I had a Dawson Ice, I put the STI one on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot SS. Have 4 pouches on belt. Start with one loose mag and gives me 4 more on my belt. Load 8 plus 1 in the first so I start with 9 in first mag. So I have 41 rounds for a 32 rd field course. Just enough as long as I count it out right.

IMO

Thanks,

Mike

For Production I shoot with 4 single pouches loaded and 1 mag in the gun. I usually keep a cheap double pouch at the end in case I've got a need for 6+ the start mag.

My Limited belt is set up with 3 pouches. I usually start most stages with 1 in the gun and 2 pouches loaded. Even on a LONG stage mag 3 is mainly there as a backup to a borked reload or a malfunction. I've been thinking of adding another pouch to support those weird days I want to reload my Limited gun a lot in L10.

Here's my logic. I shoot single stack at major power factor, so 8 rounds in the mags. The worst case scenario for an 8 shot gun, would be a stage that breaks down into 5 shot positions and has an empty gun at the start. To complete this course of fire I need a total of 6 mags on the belt.

You need to figure out what the worst case scenario is given your mag capacity.

I have 1 126 mm magazine, I like to have 4 on my belt in case I knock one loose or fumble a reload and drop a magazine or 3.

I think I will order 4 more.

The base plate from Dawson seems too thick, the TTI one I out on and measured looks like it will work.

I will build a box to make sure the gun fits.

I can't imagine having 4 or 5 on your belt for USPSA Limited. Geez! 100+ rounds of 40sw is an awful lot to run around with. I carry three, and have never needed the third. I keep thinking I should leave the third to save the weight, but I'm sure the first time I do I'll regret it.

For Production/3Gun (4) 14-rd on belt, (1) 14-rd in gun (all loaded to 10-rds for Production, but not 3Gun of course). SS (minor) (6) 9-rd on belt, (1) 9-rd in gun.

Edited by Scrmblr

Zzt,

I gave fumbled reloads dropping a magazine, have hadone them fall out, once it hits the deck I won't use it.

I don't even look at it, just grab the next magazine.

4 mags from Brazo's are about $275, plus TTI base pads, so I will order them today.

• 3 weeks later...

5 was good, until I broke an extractor on a stage, a big field course, ended up with 23 mikes, 12 procedurals, 350 penalty points.

Most penalty points of the match, but not the most procedurals, unfortunately a girl on the squad I was working took a short cut, she did not know she had to stay inside the shooting area, she is a good shooter but was not aware of that rule.

I felt bad for her, I thought she knew, unfortunately we had to call her on it.