Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GP X-calibur vs Sphinx Standard/CZ P-09 for production

I bought a Sphinx Compact a month back, practiced up and shot it in IDPA this weekend.

I am quite comfortable with the gun as it fits my hand well, and would buy a standard size in a skinny second.

Speaking with Kriss yesterday I am told they will have a "safety" available to install in all the platforms soon;

I want a full size gun for production and have narrowed it down to

1. Grand Power X-calibur

2. Sphinx standard (assuming they are out in August/early September as they claim); I lump this with the P-09 as they are so similar; but I would prefer a mostly metal frame Sphinx Standard if I had the choice

The GP x-calibur looks like it has very "soft" springs as videos show people pushing slide back with a minimal amount of effort; vs the Sphinx is sprung like a scale at a truck stop....

There seems to be a lot of hype about the GP lately;

Would you guru's think the recoil impulse to be much different between the two? any other things to contract that I am missing?

What's your timeframe on buying one? At this point I would say a Grand Power or P-09 are your only options.

Eagle Imports has great support for their firearms but I haven't seen a lot of aftermarket support yet.

CZ has typical CZ support plus plenty of aftermarket support.

In my opinion, if you have any desire to shoot any level 2 or higher matches, I would go with the P-09. You could have two for the price of one X-Cal.

If your whole decision is based on recoil impulse, that can only really be determined by you. Everyone has a different perception of recoil.

I think you should get an x-cal, and then let me shoot it. :D

Really, they seem like pretty slick guns but I would hate to spend that kind of money on one without ever holding it first. You are welcome to shoot my P09 sometime but its in .40. I can load up some soft ammo and probably make it feel like a 9mm though.

I think you should get an x-cal, and then let me shoot it. :D

Really, they seem like pretty slick guns but I would hate to spend that kind of money on one without ever holding it first. You are welcome to shoot my P09 sometime but its in .40. I can load up some soft ammo and probably make it feel like a 9mm though.

If you do, load up some 147ish grain bullets. That should give the closest representation of what a 9 load would feel like. Only caveat being the 40 load may not be that accurate...

My two xcals are ready to rock out of the box. Light slide very minimal flip.

The first has an SA of 2lb 6oz second one is 3lb 7oz.

DA is 6lb 2oz and 7lb 3oz. These weights are out of the box.

As for aftermarket springer has several items including base pads and grip tape. He also has a sight to make an optic mount. Henning has a gun. And has already made numerous items for the larger frame gun. You also get a longer sight radius on the Xcal.

If your around MD you are always welcome to shoot either.

thanks guys, I keep rehashing the same questions....lol

I think the difficulty does lie in that I am trying to compare guns that I can't even put in my hand (except the P-09)

and that are pretty much not available at the moment (x-cal is awaiting a shipment)

I did get a EAA stock 3 in 10mm a few months back, and also grabbed a .40 barrel before I knew I was getting back into gun games...

maybe I should give that a test run also....

Dave33, Did you shoot IDPA at Bucc last Saturday?

Kingman, thanks for your help..I am on the look out for a GP; my vendors were out when I started looking

Edited by scubadds

Dave33, Did you shoot IDPA at Bucc last Saturday?

Missed it, had my daughters 3rd birthday party then. I plan on shooting the steel challenge at ant hill this coming sunday, how about you?

I did get a EAA stock 3 in 10mm a few months back, and also grabbed a .40 barrel before I knew I was getting back into gun games...

maybe I should give that a test run also....

I cant speak for the 10/40, but I shot a S3 in 9mm that was the flattest cycling production gun I have shot to date

maybe it worth trying to get a 9mm slide for it.... I tried EAA a few weeks ago, and they did not have any;

I just called them and they are seeing what they have in stock....

Dave33. I will try to shoot; have not checked our schedule....

I've been looking in to buying a Sphinx compact alpha. Shot one and it's phenomenal. All the online places have different part numbers though and there's no description to differentiate them. Kriss doesn't list the model numbers on their site so it's very annoying. There's different sight options. Then there's the alpha and black line. So part numbers may be confused with that. Love the sphinx'a but ordering one is a pita.

Its not too bad; I bought 2 recently.

Basically; they all have steel slides and that part is the same.

The Alpha has aluminum lower with the lower portion of lower (grip area and trigger guard) is polymer. (you can also notice a different texture in the finger groove area)

They have some all aluminum lower models (often colored, sandline or krypton)

The have the full steel lower (duotone)

The alpha is what most all of the are....that's what I have and like. I can't tell that its polymer, as it feels so solid and doesn't look different to me either.

I sorta want a full aluminum one just to try; but I don't see many plain black (non-alpha) models in the vendors I use.

I am setting up to go direct with Kriss; PM me if your interested in one;

They are expecting the full size models in any time, but I would expect a few months

I don't know what the pricing will be on the duotone production. (not sure when it will actually be here, as there is no date given for them yet)

Only the black standard size will be arriving. I was told August/Sept. but I see there is a history of delays.

I was told that there is also a "safety" arriving. In that you can add a safety in place of decocker on existing models. (like the p-09).

They said it would fit both subcompact and compact models. They are not sure at all when this will occur