Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR Group Sizes -- Is this rifle accurate enough?

TerryYu

I shot some groups with a family heirloom Western Field 22lr (Mossberg 45b Clone) bolt action the other day at 50 yards and was wondering how well this gun shoots in relation to modern 22s.

I don't know any smallbore shooters but was hoping that the Benos community could weigh in on if this gun is good enough to shoot a match with

Groups were shot off sandbags at 50 yards with winds variable around 10mph. Each square is 1 inch.

post-39197-0-95510400-1438642749_thumb.j

Optics? Irons? Type of match you would like to shoot? Details sir, details!

As far as comparison to newer guns, I've got a $230 Savage that shoots almost any ammo inside 5/8" for 5 shot groups at 50yds, and shoots match ammo a bit better. But it's very light and twitchy on a bench so it takes all my available skill and patience to make that happen.

Yeah what kind of match and accuracy do you need? I have everything from speed rifles for steel shooting at minute of steel plate to free-standing rimfire metallic silhouette semis that can do .5-1 MOA off a bench. Those are not bad groups overall but since I don't have any .22 bolt guns I can't tell you how that might compare to a good CZ.

• 2 months later...

+1

Looks like a decent shooter for what it is.

It looks like you have enough accuracy to have a lot of fun.

So as Jack said, shoot the match and see how you finish. Then decide what you want to do.

Edited by RPatton