Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme Shooters Grip not dropping mags?

Prov1x

A buddy has a new extreme shooters grip and the stock sti .40sw 140mm mags won't drop free from the gun. They feel very snug as they are going in and he can hear and feel them rubbing on the inside of the grip. They will not even start to drop free so we know it's not the mag release etc...Do you guys think the grip is bad or that it's the stock sti mags? He had some 9mm 2011 mags and they drop free no problem, of course I would assume they are a bit smaller in diameter since they are 9mm.

Any ideas?

Edited by Prov1x

Tough to tell without seeing the gun but it is either the grip or the mags are slightly out of spec. If the mags are the problem, they can be biased back into spec with a bench vise and a heavy towel. You just have to be careful, go slow and use a micrometer for before and after measurements. Dawson's has a magazine tuning kit they sell that will show you how to adjust them.

I would also examine the grip closely around the magazine release.

Make sure the grip has been installed square and bottomed out as it should be on the frame. Sometime grips get torqued a little when they are re-installed. The mags can be out of spec a little also.

Tommy Roupe

THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

A shooting buddy of mine had the same problem, he called extreme shooters they had him sent the grip and his mags and they tuned everything up. no charge

That's good to know, kind of...but I would expect it to work from the time I received it. Maybe he'll have to give them a call.

Edited by Prov1x

Also, remove the mag release and see if that frees up the mag. Easy check there. The other option would be to remove the grip and see if the mags slide in and out of the grip freely.

If one of the grip screw "bushings" isn't re-installed correctly, that could definitely cause

Also, remove the mag release and see if that frees up the mag. Easy check there. The other option would be to remove the grip and see if the mags slide in and out of the grip freely.

If one of the grip screw "bushings" isn't re-installed correctly, that could definitely cause problems.

Try removing the magwell with the grips on the gun.

I have had the magwell twist the grips just enough that I experienced the same problem. I simply reinstalled the magwell carefully and everything then worked.

If they still don't drop, start step by step.

Remove the slide and see if they will drop.

Remove the mag catch and test.

Finally, remove the grips and reinstall and test. I'd even leave out the msh and springs for the test.

Hopefully, you will find the point where things work, then don't work and can go from there.

It's amazing how a grip screw otlr slight twist can happen with the grip and then nothing will work.

Well we got some "tuned" mags from somebody else and they seemed to work fine. Slid in and out and didn't get hung up on the mag release.

Maybe the sti stock mags that we tried the other day need to be "tuned" as well. Although they work fine in a different gun with a factory sti grip.