Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics, 4.25 or 5 inch gun

DocMedic

So that Carry Optics is a thing now. What are the pro's and con's of running the different size guns? Before I took OPEN seriously I built a M&P pro with a slide ride Deltapoint and a comp. Taking off the comp shouldn't be a issue by a gun smith, but I seem to remember that the gun just felt sluggish when using minor loads as in you were waiting for the dot to come back. I remember sometime back that people where recommending using a standard size M&P as it seem to "snap back" faster with no waiting of the slide.

It's only provisional, why buy or build a gun for a division that isn't actually a "thing?" IMO leave the division for what the association needs it for, more membership! Get your friends with dotted m&p's to come play.

Oh and to actually answer your question, in the spirit of the division you would want a 4.25 with a threaded barrel (read longer)...

I should clarify a little, I wouldn't be buying a new M&P for the division, I have several in the safe of all sizes. Even though its only considered a provisional division right now doesn't mean I wouldn't think of taking it seriously. If anything I'm trying to gain a little more information on peoples experience using long slides vs standards slides when using Slide Mounted red-dots, since CORE pistols have been out for a little more then a year now.

Doc, I'm currently playing with a ported M&P 5 inch CORE and a 8 MOA JPoint. I use a 147 Xtreme RN bullet. The 880 fps load I used with a 4.25 non-ported M&P is sluggish in the 5 inch. I upped the powder to run that bullet at 910 fps. It recoils more, but snaps the dot back faster. Although it has a sharper recoil than the 880 fps load, the splits on double taps are noticeably faster and the double taps are tighter.

That is freestyle. Weak & strong hand is not as much "fun".

I realize the ported barrel won't play in Carry Optics. I think... with a non-ported barrel in CO..... I would play with the 880 fps load and check accurate split times. If a 5 inch is available, compare them. Tuning the load to "The Dot" would be an important factor.

I think the advantage to the longer slide is obviously in the increased sight radius, as that is not an issue with the dot, it sounds like the 4.25 option may work better.

I might think about getting a shorter XD and trying it out, though I'm happy with the 5.25 at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Run what ya got, especially for a provisional division. If the slide is feeling sluggish go up on your recoil spring. For me a 15lb spring feels the best in 9mm. The 13 and 11lb springs just felt too slow. In 40, a 13lb feels the best for me. Run all the spring weights you have on the clock. I bet it won't make much of a difference. Pick the one that feels the best to you.